Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG car tries to start on its own! Reincarnation of Christine?

Old 09-17-2017, 07:17 PM
olaugh
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG car tries to start on its own! Reincarnation of Christine?

So i was in the garage starting repair of my 968 loose spoiler when the car just started cranking over all by itself with no keys in the ignition. I freaked out jumped in with the keys and started the car. The engine started but i could still hear the starter cranking still so i quickly disconnected the positive and let me heart take a breather. I tried to put the positive back on after a minute but it gave a good spark and i decided to leave all alone for time being.

The car is a recent purchase and had a charging issue. I discovered a loose starter wire that was not mounted to the post. I think it was barely making connect for awhile and previous owner charged battery in garage to get him by. I reconnected the starter wire and car has been running great for the last few weeks.

Any thoughts on whats in the world is happening or possible next steps to investigate?? if i need to get the starter tested is that a fairly easy removal?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2017, 08:23 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

First step would be to back to the starter and check all of the wire lugs to make sure none are touching.

Other than that, possible bad starter solenoid, or ignition switch (very unlikely).
Most likely wiring touching.

And make sure it's in neutral and the wheels are off the ground, don't want Christine running over you!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:31 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

This is a surprising common occurrence with these. First time I've heard of it with a 968, but it's common enough I've ready 3-4 threads about it in 944 land. Off the top of my head I can't remember the common root cause, I'm sure someone will jump in here shortly with it however.

PS: There's a story out there about a guy who came home from vacation to find his 944 in his living room. He had parked it in gear (like 99% of us do) and it did the "auto start" trick and had enough power to make it through the garage wall. Worth a read if you can find it. I've tried searching but I'm not getting great hits with my search terms.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

Typical frayed wiring down by the starter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OMG car tries to start on its own! Reincarnation of Christine?