Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ergness...may have to sell...don't want to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 08:44 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this past march
Old 12-01-2003, 11:44 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Mine had a "got hot" problem a few years ago. As long as I was moving, it was alright, if I stopped for any length of time over say 15 seconds, the needle would move like a slow boost gauge. Mind you this was in the middle of summer...good move on the fan switch. Thermostat could also be going. Not a hard fix (I didn't think), just be patient with that circlip.

Checking the bearings isn't a big deal. Pull the wheel and hub off and see if the bearing grease looks good (kinda hard to describe good looking grease) or if there is inadequate grease. Does the steering have any noticeable slack in it? Maybe try turning the disc with the wheel off and "feel" (squeaking, grinding, etc.) if anything is out of place. If you can squat the front end down a lot, struts would be good while you may be in there anyway if you get Matt's springs. Don't lose heart. I started with a Haynes manual of all things, now I'll tackle anything the car throws at me. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:36 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Matt H is a model rennlister. I have seen and have first hand experience of his generousity and willing to help others of the hobby. THANK YOU MATT!

Personally, I cant wait to give someone free parts to help them when the part isnt usefull to me except as a possible sell. i might have a couple things soon, we'll see.

anyways, the point of this was to thank matt. Thanks again man, agreat person. Hope to meet you in person sometime.

~Eyal
Old 12-02-2003, 03:50 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

btw - while in the spirit...does anyone need a coil pack? Great condition...thought I needed it when it wasn't getting a spark...turns out I have a killswitch I didn't know about...hardly been used....anyone need it?
Old 12-02-2003, 06:21 AM
johnjcoyle
Instructor

Lightbulb Gas smell.....

Hi Bloodraven,

I had a gas smell in my car. I traced it to a black plastic cap under the boot carpet. It looks like it covers the fuel sender switch and some other stuff from the tank.

Anyhow, it was not seated properly, so I pushed it back into place and the gas smell has gone.

I dont know if this will help, but its worth a try.

If I can pass on any information to anyone about 944's it will be because I learnt it from other people on this forum.

This forum helped me to decide to buy my 944, because I saw the brutal truth about how these cars work on a day to day basis.

However I still bought mine, and you have yours. I wish you luck and hope that you are able to get your car on the road safely.

Please have faith in the words of the senior members on this forum.

However, as a 951 owner and driver you shouldbe able to brush off anything that you consider an insult
Old 12-02-2003, 09:01 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

I would suggest a thorough investigation on the coolant leak. It could be as simple as an expanded hose / clamp fitting to a slowly dying waterpump. The latter being the evil choice. If you know anyone with a digital camera, take some under-engine shots for us showing the location of the drips... and minimize your driving while the fans aren't cycling properly.
I've been through my own coolant drip hunt, so maybe I can help - lord knows there are lots of guys more well-suited than myself.
As to the gas - holy bejeezums batman, beware! I burned a hole through my harness housing last year with a bad cable - if there were gas ANYWHERE near it... you get the picture.
Good luck, post some pics!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There arent any RL's near NC? If I were within say...1000 miles, I would go help. Lord knows how many times I have been to Houston and how many times those guys have helped me in return. To check the suspension, lift the front end, grab tire at 3 and 9 move from left to right, there should be no movement (well just a VERY VERY little, no movement is an ideal rarely seen). To check the bearings grab wheel at 6 and 12 and pull/push on the top/bottom of the wheel. Again, there should be no movement. Some people check bearings using a large pry bar as a lever but I like to "feel" it with my hands. I guess having checked enough of them I can feel them pretty well. The fuel smell may be harder to check. I will try to pull the cat-back tonight and send it off this weekend. That at least eliminates that as a possibility (though it is unlikely the cause).
Old 12-02-2003, 11:17 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Be carefull at fill up. There is a drain hose in the fuel fill up area. if your gas backs up the neck and leaks a bit it goes into the drain hose. This is for water and goes into the back wheel well. If you put gas in it you just put fuel intoyour wheel well.... if the drain back in the wheel well is obstructed with say junk and what not the fuel smell is inthe cabin.. Just had this happen. drovewith window open for 2 days... and left window down for one... HTH
Old 12-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blood,

I'd be willing to help out, but can't this week. PM me and we'll set up a time. Hopefully Keith can come on up to help out if his leg is getting better and we'll make it a blitzkrieg diagnostic affair to determine exactly what's going on with your car.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts
Question am I really wrong?

My 928 had a broken t-belt when I bought it. The PO neglected it and the car essentially became a parts car or a car that needed extensive engine repair.

I bought it for next to nothing and rebuilt the top end, and made the car road worthy again.

I'm not worried about owning a 928, casue I can and have been repairing everything that a 928 can trow at me.

I know alot of others are not as mechanically inclined as I am. That's why I made the suggestion of BloodRaven seeling his 951.

From the description of his problems he sounded like a person that knows nothing or very little about automotive repair. I think it would be more logical if he owned/leased a car that is alot newer and comes with bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:11 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Elmo, why bother getting into a challenge or something new? Take the easy way out and stay with something boring. Porsches are for rich people who can afford to pay for repairs or for Professional engineers who can rebuild anything.

Sheesh, you don't even know the guy but you say he is ignorant and shouldn't have something HE wanted and HE paid for.

Blood Raven, get a shop manual and find some spare time and climb around underneath the car and get to know it better. Very rewarding to learn to work on these cars and well worth it. Be patient and ask clear questions and people will be able to help you. Good luck, and don't put a for sale sign up yet!

(Sorry, Imo, not Elmo)
Old 12-02-2003, 02:49 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Peckster
Looking at the title, it seems like he doesn't have much interest in fixing it.
I concur with above statement. Time and time again I tell people on limited budget you gotta learn to work on these cars or lose it.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:24 PM
keith
Drifting

EZ Rider, agreed. So how about this: let's wait to hear about the front wheel check (thanks Matt for the procedure) and then go further with that area. (although, if it makes the sound when the car is parked and you push down on the fender, than it can very likely be that the strut is shot, and the sound is the strut rod chafing against the cap of the strut tube as it goes down, in which case you need struts in a bad way.) MY primary concern would be the balljoint condition, however.

As for the gas smell: is it definitely gas fumes, or exhaust? If your cat is gone (I have no idea why a cat would be absent, but I digress) and your hatch seal is bad, opening the windows or the sunroof will suck fumes from the exhaust into the cabin. If it IS a GASOLINE SMELL, You need to verify that there are no amber/tan tracks around the injectors or the fuel lines. Then follow the lines back,under the car, inspecting for damage/moisture. When you get to the tank, there is a cover over the fuel pump secured with 2 philips screws, IIRC. Remove that and check for moisture in there.
Let us know what you find out.

Cooling: If you have a leak in the system, it won't build pressure properly and will run hot. This can include a bad resevoir cap, a leaking hose, a loose clamp, a failing radiator end tank, whatever. Checking for drips and noting their location is a good way to narrow down on the geography of the leak. Pressure-testing is better (replicates system pressures for a running engine), but requires a pricey tester or paying a shop to check it (which is what I'd recommend if you can't find the leak)
Also, the fans NOT cycling will cause it to overheat, of course.

Cheak these things and get back to us so we can better assist you in your repairs. No sense wasting money on repairing the wrong things when we can collaborate and target the repairs better.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:17 AM
keith
Drifting

Any new info?
Old 12-04-2003, 03:31 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

nah, haven't been able to do anything past few days...working too much and weather doesn't look like I will be able too for a few more days...

I do however know that it is definatly a gas smell, and I do have my cat...but once the weather clears up a little, I will take a look at the rest of the stuff...I was also thinking of my front sway bar making the noise...but I am going with struts just for the fact that my g/f's car is making the same sound, and we know there are problems with her strut...

Quick Reply: ergness...may have to sell...don't want to...