Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ergness...may have to sell...don't want to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 05:44 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Jeez guys, lighten up. You all can express your opinion but Imo000 can't?
Give me a freeking break.
I don't like how he said it but I cannot disagree 100%. I parked my 944S in November 2001 due to a rod bearing and concentrated on my 928 since it needed less work. The 944 is still sitting there (climate controlled showroom of a used car dealership my friend owns).
If it cannot be fixed right but the car is still running, either fix it the right way or sell the car. This I agree with.

To those bashing Imo000, let me reming you the problems bloodraven mentioned:
Overheating - hell, this could be anything
Gas leak - Hmmm, are these cars known for engine fires? That's what I thought.
Front end is making strange noises when he bounces on it.

Now if it were just the suspension, that alone can be a major fix depending what is wrong. What if his ball joints are loose causing excessive play in the rest of the system? Its possible, and dangerous.
My advice? Park the car in a safe place until it can be fixed correctly or sell the car.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default champagne tastes...

That's just rude..

there are a LOT of us who learned to fix what we cant afford a wrench for.

Parts are expensive- true, but the fellowship of fellow rennlisters has kept me running for quite a while. Hence the public "thank you" from me a few weeks ago.

It never hurts to ask, there are VERY generous people out there. but it does hurt when you kick a guy when he's down..

Bloodraven- It may not hurt to have a qualified wrench look at your car to determine exactly what you need to make it roadworthy (If that's posible, that is)

IMHO- it's cheaper to get new shocks than the time and effort to install used.. and end up replacing them in a few weeks..
Old 12-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do NOT sell the P-car. DO NOT SELL THE P-CAR!!!!!
Hell... i'm stuck with a friggin NA with rusted through fenders, cracked doors and 1/2 inch of dried PS fluid/Oil in every place imaginable. I make $100 a week at work and college scholarships, i have a cheap daily Miata and i'm slowly bringing my NA back to life. Park it, get a beater, fix the P-car in whatever time it takes and Enjoy your work and a working Porsche 944 Turbo when you're done.
Good luck!
Vlad.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

You can't lease a Hyundai or a Kia for $175/mo. Don't trust everything you see on TV.

I regularly roll people at payments in the 450-500 range in Hyundais and Kias... that's about double the payment on my Porsche.

Hyundai != cheap. Fastest growing car company in America, 350,000+ in annual sales, bestselling midsize SUV on the market...
Old 12-01-2003, 06:23 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"There is wisdom in a multitude of counselors"... Proverb from Ancient King

The hard part is sifting through all of the bologna to get to the good stuff
Old 12-01-2003, 06:36 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Default Re: No more "951" for U !!!!!

Originally posted by Imo000
BloodRaven,

If you can't afford to maintain a P-car or any car for that matter, please sell it before it turns into another "parts only" car.

If you are not financially stable enough to own and up keep a 951, maybe a leased 2004 Hyundai or Kia(under $175/month) is better choice for you.

This is a perfect example of "champagne dreams with beer money".

Wow talk about kicking someone when they are down!!
No need for such bluntness.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:39 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, back to topic - (and as I said) what is ACTUALLY wrong with the car?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:49 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keith - though my offer might not fix it I would like to think it is generous. It would be different if I had tried to sell it to him. I suggest in the future maybe, word things a little different. I would like to think that "IF" I needed a part someone else had little use for they would help me. People might think twice when they are called out for "doing little good" whilst trying to help someone!

I used to be in the same situation as he is. Not that far from it. Big difference between me now and 4 years ago. Now when they say 850 bucks for a turbo I dont cringe, then 50 bucks was like a million.

Oh, and back to topic, we do need more description
Old 12-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the title, it seems like he doesn't have much interest in fixing it.

That's a typical way of selling cars here.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:05 PM
keith
Drifting

Matt - no blow against you or your generousity (which it is). However, this guy is coming off like you just solved his problem.

If I sounded like I was criticizing you or whomever else offered springs, I was not. Of course, springs most likely aren't an issue here, and I think we all probably know that.

As a poor person (I moved up from insanely poor) I can't abide the whining.
Anyone that wants help can have it - that's why Rennlist exists, in my mind - so you can educate yourself on the car, and help yourself as a result. Lending a hand is also part of the equation.

HOWEVER - I am hearing so many "my car is broke, I'm gonna have to sell it" posts in the past year or so. A waste of bandwidth. Let's discuss the problems and get them fixed (requiring effort/information of/from the author of the thread), or take it to the classifieds.

Rennlist should be used as a means to help oneself, not as a bail-out when the car finally gets to the point of frustration.

etc., etc.

(and lately, I fix these things for a living, and am still willing to help anyone I can, when I can, but I won't bail anyone out without them giving their 100%)

I still haven't seen an attempt to delve into the specific problems and their origins on the part of the poster - or maybe I missed that thread?

(and Raven, my attitude about this is a result of several years on this forum - not this thread specifically.)
Old 12-01-2003, 07:07 PM
keith
Drifting

Oh and Matt - disregard any poor choice of words in my posts today. I am stuck at home with a nasty puncture/tear wound on the back of my leg as a result of a fall (more or less) and am physically inconvenienced by it, if you understand what I mean....
Old 12-01-2003, 07:58 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keep the 951, and don't listen to Imo. From a 951 to Kia.

The best way to learn is to pretty much do the work yourself. I say you hold onto it, and take your time fixing the car. Things may add up, but just slowly fix each problem. I'm going through the same problem.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keith, I got you. You just dont know the history. I have offered to send him a number of other parts through PM. I think he was just showing his thankfulness out loud. Sorry about your fall, my wife is recovering from a fall too. She is not too happy either! He said he needed exhaust, well, I happen to have one, etc, etc. Just a little history. I doubt if the springs are failing as I have only seen that about 3 times in my entire life and I have seen thousands if not hundreds of thousands of cars.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:38 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

First off, let me just say that I wasn't saying that to say "My car is for sale"...it was more of a complaint...but it may become for sale, for more problems (not with the car...financial) than what is listed here...and I apologize for the lateness in my reply, my internet hasn't been working right since I woke up this morning...and as for a better description...here you go!

Seal barking - when the wheels are turning? Does it change speed with roadspeed? Is it during braking? Cornering? Over bumps?
It does it during braking and cornering, but mostly when I hit a bump...

Where is your gas leak? Stains on the intake manifold? Smell it when the sunroof/windows are open and the tank is full?
I am pretty sure that the gas leak (may just be a smell) is coming from the exhaust before the cat. I smell a VERY strong gas smell with the windows down, but only when I filled up a couple days ago. It always had a gas smell, but it wasn't bad. But now.....eck!

Why is the car overheating? Are the fans cycling? Has the cooling system been bled? Are you seeing coolant under the car? Is it actually overheating? Is the needle crossing the uppoer white mark? Does it register the same with the lights on/off, car running/shut off?
It is not overheating, just getting really hot. I did bleed the coolant, and put new in, but I have recently discovered a leak. Not sure were it is coming from...don't know were all the hoses are. My fans aren't cycling either...but I am getting htat fixed soon...my thermoswitch is coming in hopefully over the next couple days...
Old 12-01-2003, 08:40 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

When did you buy this car?

Quick Reply: ergness...may have to sell...don't want to...