Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove side molding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:22 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Looking good!

The key is to use the plastic scrapers; they won't cut into the paint and it speeds up the removal. I realize you don't have any Harbor Freight stores in your country, but they can be ordered on Amazon, and some other body & paint stores, and some home improvement stores carry them. Also, Harbor Freight ships internationally, but I don't think its cost effective to Australia.

https://www.harborfreight.com/custom...-delivery.html

Was your car repainted at some point in time? The shop may have used something nasty to re-attach the side moldings.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:52 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Yes, but define cold: is it snowing, raining, sub-artic!
Haha...cold as in no pre-treat with a heat gun/hair dryer.

Did you soften up the plastic guards with WD-40, as well, prior to applying the scraper?
Old 08-13-2017, 11:43 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

The first attempt, I did spray WD40 on the plastic, but it won't dissolve the plastic since it's pretty durable. The WD40 serves more as a lubricant when you first start removing the plastic, and then it will dissolve the adhesive as soon as the top plastic is scraped off.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:12 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a simple and easy way to strip this stuff off paint. It works for both the side molding adhesive and the plastic chip protection panels over the wheel arches and in front of the rear wheel wells.

Buy some WD40 (I like the gallon size, it's not that expensive and you can use it for lots of other things), and plastic chisels/scrapers.

Here's Harbor Freight's scraper example, but you can find on Amazon and in home stores.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-95832.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/wd-40-...ant-62232.html

Spray the area you will work on with a light misting of WD40 and let it sit for a few minutes, or up to 1/2 hour if you can restrain yourself. You can also brush it on, but spray is faster.

Grab one of the two medium sized scrappers and angle it parallel to the paint but with the edge touching the body. Use short, slow, forceful strokes to scrape the adhesive off on the side molding, or the plastic surface of the stone chip protectors. Experiment, you will find the right motion.

Re-apply WD40 as needed, it will act as a lubricant on the paint and a solvent on the adhesive. The WD40 will have no effect on your paint and it washes off with soap and water.

The adhesive should break down and become gummy, so some old rags to clean the scrapper are helpful. You may want to put some cardboard or newspaper down if you are on a driveway for easier cleanup.

For the plastic stone chip protectors, once the plastic is scraped off, spray more WD40 over the adhesive and it will begin to dissolve and come off with the scraper. The longer you can leave the WD40 to soak into the adhesive, the easier it comes off, up to a point, typically 20-30 minutes. Spray one area and scrape in another.

You can use a soft rag or old microfiber towel with some WD40 on it to clean up any stubborn patches of adhesive. Wash with soap, polish the paint, and then wax. Perfection!

I'm NOT responsible for anything you do!
No warranty of any kind expressed or implied.
Use at your own risk.

Enjoy!
This WD40 trick worked a peach! It made short work of the hard, black adhesive. However, it still left behind a very thin, fine but rough-feeling transparent film. It's hard to see, and is like a thinner version of the transparent rock guard on the front of the rear wheel well. WD40 doesn't seem to work on it - I'll have to hunt for another adhesive remover. I feel like I could get it off with a razor blade, but I'm too scared to try it. I should say I didn't heat the moulding at all, so I may try some heat.

I will say that the visual impact of removing the moulding was greater than I anticipated. Now your eye goes follows the "belt line" instead of the middle of the car. There's something sort of '90's about the moulding, and removing it brings the car back to the right decade.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:17 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Try 3M Adhesive Remover. Haven't tried on side moldings, but it has always been able to remove any glue residue that I have run across.
According to 3M their adhesive remover "Removes the Residue, Leaves the Paint".
Old 08-20-2017, 02:34 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

You're right, I think the "very thin, fine but rough-feeling transparent film" is a transfer tape. It has adhesive on both sides and is used in applying the adhesive to the trim when it is manufactured. Chances are if you can get it to come off you will find adhesive under it.

I would spray a little WD40 in an area and use the plastic scraper to see if you get it to lift or scrape the tape off. Don't use a razor blade, you will only damage the paint. The plastic scraper will not scratch the paint and the WD40 acts as a lubricant to make the scraper work efficiently.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:37 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You're right, I think the "very thin, fine but rough-feeling transparent film" is a transfer tape. It has adhesive on both sides and is used in applying the adhesive to the trim when it is manufactured. Chances are if you can get it to come off you will find adhesive under it.

I would spray a little WD40 in an area and use the plastic scraper to see if you get it to lift or scrape the tape off. Don't use a razor blade, you will only damage the paint. The plastic scraper will not scratch the paint and the WD40 acts as a lubricant to make the scraper work efficiently.
It did come up with more WD40. Some things I'd add to anyone trying this:

1. Get more than one plastic scraper; they dull after a while and will become ineffective. I suggest at least a half dozen.

2. Before you scrape, try to pull up a corner of the adhesive with your finger; if you can get a hold of a thick piece of it and pull slowly, you can peel all of it off - transfer tape and all - in one go. Sometimes this isn't possible, as the spatula will break up the tape when you separate it from the moulding, but if you get lucky and find the tape relatively intact, try to peel it off with your fingers - it will save a lot of time.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:03 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I had a go the other day at removing the adhesive with 3M Automotive Adhesive Remover.

It worked like a charm. I gave a minimal 'soaking' to a six inch strip (at a time) all the while holding a cloth underneath to catch the run-off. Moving along with dry spot on the cloth rolled the old stuff off perfectly.

You wouldn't know that there had been a rub strip on the car before this.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: How to remove side molding?