Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should airbags be enabled on a track car?
Yes
25.00%
No
75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Airbag delete/disable for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:27 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Airbag delete/disable for track use?

I expect this may be one of those "opinion" topics with more than one answer, but I'd like to know if it's a good idea to delete or at least disable airbags on a car with 5 point harnesses used primarily for the track?

I've never had a car equipped with airbags before my '89 S2 so I don't know the scuttlebutt on the subject. The car is being built for the track but meant to be driven to and from. Since I'm putting in a harness/roll bar, racing seats with HALO/HANS and harnesses I'm wondering if the bags might be a disadvantage?

Any opinions?

I think I'll set this up as a "poll". I've never tried that before.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:43 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I vote no. If you are doing a track car with a containment seat and properly setup harnesses and HANS device the air bag won't be doing much in a crash. However, if it's going to be driven as a street car with the 3 point, then it probably adds to the safety. Keep in mind it is also probably illegal in your area to tamper with stock safety devices so that may factor into your decision.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I'd pull them from the car simply due to age.
Maybe they still work, maybe they don't.
But do you really want to find out if you hit a gator or something too hard?
Old 07-28-2017, 01:52 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

NO, If you Build any sort of decent cage with side impact, you will want a quick release steering wheel, to get in and out e-z, Kinda hard to do with a huge factor wheel in the way. Besides, its just extra weight :-)
Old 07-28-2017, 04:17 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

For me, the problem with the poll is that it doesn't specify that the car will be driven to and from the track. On a "never to see the street" track car with a track seat and 5 point I say remove or at least disable the bags.

On a combo street / track car where either the 3 point or 5 point can be used (as is the case with mine at this time) I say leave them in
Old 07-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chudson
For me, the problem with the poll is that it doesn't specify that the car will be driven to and from the track. On a "never to see the street" track car with a track seat and 5 point I say remove or at least disable the bags.

On a combo street / track car where either the 3 point or 5 point can be used (as is the case with mine at this time) I say leave them in
Good point.

To clarify, the seats planned are Sparco Ergo with removable HALO wings and 5 point harness. The car will only move from shop to track and back under its own power. I plan to install a "half cage", which in my mind is a roll bar and harness bar. No front or side bars.

Quick Reply: Airbag delete/disable for track use?