924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

How to remove/reinstall a 924S crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:23 PM
dreygata
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove/reinstall a 924S crankshaft

Ok, so due to a shredded rod bearing (I had the car about one month before it started knocking, then immediately parked it), I either need to recondition or replace my crankshaft. Problem is, I have no experience doing this, but am mechanically capable.
Currently, the engine is out of the car on a stand, and the oil pan is off. I know that I need to disconnect the rest of the pistons, but that's as far as I know with 100% confidence. I'm guessing that I'll need to pull the crank pulley, which is torqued on at 155 ft lbs if I recall, and the flywheel. After that, I'm not entirely sure and I don't want to unnecessarily remove things that I don't have to.
After all of that, I'm guessing that I'll need to just go ahead and replace all of the bearings in there and figure out how to do my timing?

Thanks

Last edited by dreygata; 05-04-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

with oil pan off youll see the aluminum "girdle" that has lots of bolts and nuts attached to it, this is securing the crankshaft to the block.

you should remove the front pulley just for ease of handling. you can stick a 2x4 between the crankshaft weights and the inside block walls to hold the crank still while you loosen the front crank bolt.

remove all the 10, 13, 17 and 19mm bolts/nuts holding the girdle to the block and store them in a bag or something safe. you will need to remove the oil pump from the front of the block/girdle as well.

once those are out of the way a light tapping with a rubber mallet is usually sufficient to break loose the girdle from the block and you just lift it out of the way and then get the crank out. be advised the crankshaft weighs 60lbs so you might want a helper to lift it.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:58 PM
dreygata
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see what you are talking about. i'm guessing that the flywheel would come out with the crank if i didn't connect it?
And the 2x4 trick would be good so that I didn't have to purchase a flywheel lock.
Oh, now that I have access to my pictures, here's the bearing and journal:

Quick Reply: How to remove/reinstall a 924S crankshaft