Start Up DME Sequence

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:52 PM
h2okush
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start Up DME Sequence

Hi,

New to the forums. I have 1987 924S. Bought two years ago and been doing my best ot get it running better than the day it did before bit by bit. Huge thanks to a freind who lets me raid his garage for parts.

Something that has us stumped is. Every time I start my car it bogs and idles erratically that is till 4min on the dot, the throttle jumps up and resides to a normal idle and will run smooth as silk the rest of the way, minus some mid range loss of power, but that's another day.

My question is what checks is the car going through in those 4 minutes to gain control of idle.

O2 sensor, engine temp sensor....

Just tired of waiting 4 minutes before i can go any where.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2017, 08:40 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Try un plugging the O2 sensor and see what that does.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:48 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

check the resistance values on the DME temp sensor (towards front of engine, intake/driver side, made of brass with a blue plastic plug on top, below the rubber J-boot) following the procedure outlined here.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...9.htm#dme-temp

might just be that your car is remarkably consistent at its warm-up rate and that after 4 minutes of running the coolant temperature is warm enough that the sensor reads properly. these sensors are crucial to cold-start running so the DME enriches the fuel mixture sufficiently.

O2 sensor doesn't work (its information doesn't get read by the DME) until the coolant is up to a certain temperature so it's unlikely that it would cause a cold-start problem. they can made erratic warm idle though if they are bad.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:24 PM
h2okush
3rd Gear

@v2rocket good to know about the o2 sensor. hopefully ill find some time this weekend to check temp sensor.

thank you
Old 04-18-2017, 03:50 PM
h2okush
3rd Gear

Haven't had to had to go get
yo the Porsche yet since my dd is down and needs my attention. But in that I have now been dd the Porsche.

The other day i turned the car off after being up to temp and 10 min of driving. Then got back in 5 minutes later and still had to wait my 4 minutes.

didnt know if this rule things out or in

Quick Reply: Start Up DME Sequence