Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

question about stereo

Old 11-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts
Default question about stereo

I have a Becker Indiannapolis unit in my 924S,pretty happy with it , dont like the antenna thingie on the dash but overallhappy with it . when i turn the volume above 70% the screen flickers , to the rythm of the music as well !!!

why is this happening anyone knows? anything i can do to stop it ?
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2016, 10:45 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

If you turn it up loud, it draws more current and with a any resistance in the wiring it causes voltage drop at the radio and the panel will dim to the beat of the music.

Unless the radio is internally messed up, you could run a heavier gauge wire directly to the battery to reduce the voltage drop.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:06 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Giorginetto
...when i turn the volume above 70% the screen flickers...
Is this with the engine running or not running? Are you driving the speakers directly from the head unit, or are you running line outs to a power amplifier?

In either case, your speakers present a continuously varying load to the electronics and your modern head unit and/or amplifier is attempting to handle the high task/low impedance loads. By turning the volume past 70%, you have effectively used up most/all of the dynamic headroom your amplifier has to offer, whereby it is now clipping the signal, inserting [additional] distortion into reproduction, and over-taxing the electrical/charging system.

Try this...make note of the volume level at which the display beings to flicker, reduce the low frequency response [turn down the bass], and then re-check the volume level at which the display begins to flicker. My suspicion...you will be able to turn the volume higher.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:37 AM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

thanks everyone, will check all this when i get my 924S as its currently for some work at OPC
Old 11-16-2016, 03:32 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the power draw from the headunits amp, you can run a heavier wire as suggested or if the stereo has a line out and you feel like wiring it in, you can add a small class-d amp to your car. The Pioneer GM-D1004 is cheap, quite small and draws around 15-20amps maxed out (which you'll never do). Odds are you are running your headunit out of amp power anyways so the amp would let you get the most out of your speakers. Also consider adding some sound deadening to your doors. Noico 50mil or 80mil butyl is cheap on amazon and quite effective. This will make your car sound better.

WHy a dash antenna? get a replacement antenna for your fender and run it right! They are cheap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question about stereo