Dash Lights Shut Off? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Dash Lights Shut Off?

Old 09-19-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
Kuroki924
User

Default Dash Lights Shut Off?

Hey everyone, so I have an '82 924, and I recently had to replace my headlight switch. All is still well, other than the fact that when I turn the switch on, the dash and center console gauge lights come on for a brief second, then shut off. Any ideas as to what could be causing this, or where I could begin looking?
Kuroki924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #2
Holytin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroki924 View Post
Hey everyone, so I have an '82 924, and I recently had to replace my headlight switch. All is still well, other than the fact that when I turn the switch on, the dash and center console gauge lights come on for a brief second, then shut off. Any ideas as to what could be causing this, or where I could begin looking?
Did you buy a used switch? Could be the switch itself if you did not change anything else. I assume the dash lights worked before...
Holytin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #3
Kuroki924
User

No, it was a new switch. And yeah, the dash lights worked fine before, dimmer and everything. I'm not really sure what to think, though the thing that happened was we were fixing the rubber boot that goes over the relay for the headlight motor(it was old and a little torn) and had to unplug what was plugged in inside it. Upon plugging it back in, we plugged it in backwards on accident and fried the switch that was in it. The new switch works fine otherwise, but I feel like it had something to do with that. I'll have to take it apart again tomorrow and see if I can find anything out of the ordinary
Old 09-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #4
Kuroki924
User

Quote:
No, it was a new switch. And yeah, the dash lights worked fine before, dimmer and everything. I'm not really sure what to think, though the thing that happened was we were fixing the rubber boot that goes over the relay for the headlight motor(it was old and a little torn) and had to unplug what was plugged in inside it. Upon plugging it back in, we plugged it in backwards on accident and fried the switch that was in it. The new switch works fine otherwise, but I feel like it had something to do with that. I'll have to take it apart again tomorrow and see if I can find anything out of the ordinary
The headlight switch, that was. Forgot to mention that there. The switch had seized up, and you could no longer turn the lights on or off.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
Kuroki924
User

Quote:
The headlight switch, that was. Forgot to mention that there. The switch had seized up, and you could no longer turn the lights on or off.
Yeah, exactly. Sorry for the late reply, by the way. But yeah, now once I flip the lights on, all of the dash lights work until the headlights get up to their "on" resting position, then they shut off, with the exterior lights still working.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
Kuroki924
User

Thanks for the reply. And it does have a carb, so what would be my first option in terms of what to look at? Could it just need cleaning, or could there be a larger issue behind it? And the fuel filter is good, can't have any more than a hundred miles on it. Pumps work and haven't had an issue with pressure yet.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #7
Kuroki924
User

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. And it does have a carb, so what would be my first option in terms of what to look at? Could it just need cleaning, or could there be a larger issue behind it? And the fuel filter is good, can't have any more than a hundred miles on it. Pumps work and haven't had an issue with pressure yet.
Sorry, wrong thread. The joys of having more than one issue to sort out, eh?