924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

924S AC Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:32 AM
The_Chemist
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924S AC Issue

I'm in the process of rehabilitating an '88 924S and I came across an interesting electrical issue.

My blower fan and A/C would not engage at the same time effectively rendering the AC useless and in Hawai'i that's not a good thing...

After some consultation on the forums and some copies of the factory wiring diagrams I figured out that the problem was the relays. One of the relays is supposed to be a closed circuit and the other is supposed to have a switch, however it seems at some point the closed relay was replaced with a switch relay. (Switch relay is part 141 951 253 B) Which brings up my question, does anyone know the part number for the closed circuit relay? Pelican didn't turn up anything with the correct internal set up, and I don't have the correct original part to look it up. As this is the "hidden" relay in the glove compartment it doesn't show up on the Porsche part master list, and the factory manual doesn't have a number for it.

The solution was to increase the height of the contact with some solder and then tension it with an insulated spring clip. This got the AC and blower fan to go at the same time, revealing that the r12 needs a recharge. However I only see this as a temporary fix and I would like to be able to hunt down a more permanent solution (the right part).

If you have a copy of the wiring schematic its in G31 on pg 97-545 of the factory manual. Its the relay to the left of the AC relay in the G column in the photo (hence my presumption that it corresponds to the hidden relay in the glovebox).

Sorry for the long first post from a newly minted Rennlister. Aloha from Hawai'i!

Fresh Air Blower Relay (G)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Blower Relay06152016.pdf (534.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 06-18-2016, 02:47 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Aloha! Welcome to the forum. When you get the chance, post a few photos of your...patient.

As you've figured out, 141.951.253.B is the incorrect relay for either the HVAC compressor or the blower. The 141.951.253.B relay is used for the cooling fan, rear defroster, fog lights, and horn.

The correct relay for the compressor is 944.615.113.01 and the correct relay for the blower is 477.963.135.

Happy motoring...
Old 07-05-2016, 07:16 AM
The_Chemist
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Allen. Seems that part did the trick, now to go fix all the leaks so it'll actually hold some refrigerant T.T

Quick Reply: 924S AC Issue