924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Assembly grease?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 PM
DP-924S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Assembly grease?

Good day All,

I'm not very experienced in doing in-depth mechanical work so I have some newbie questions.
Note that this car (1987 924S) is not going to be driven on a track - its going to be a daily driver. It has 106000 kilometers on it.

I'm refreshing most of the seals, and 'while I'm down there' changing the oil pan gasket, I'm going to replace the rod bearings. The 'how to' posts that I've read say to use 'assembly lube' on the bearings. What exactly would this be? Some friends that are experienced with North American cars have told me to just use engine oil to line the bearings before assembly but I want to make sure to use the right stuff.

I'm also replacing the clutch and have an all new clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, etc. Write-ups that I've read say to use MOS2 grease for assembly. I've found a 'Moly' grease at the local auto parts store but I'm thinking that it may not have the Moly content that some experts would recommend. Is this a critical factor in the assembly and future performance?

Any insights would be much appreciated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Assembly grease?