Low Price Tow loops for 944s

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Low Price Tow loops for 944s

Low Price Tow loops for 944s

I have been a bit bored lately and when I saw the rear tow hook that was on B&B Track Car Rental B&B 1.

So while at the local Home Depot picting up a few things, I started thinking,
I wonder if there is anything here that would work as a good tow loop??
1st I looked for a big stainless U bolt, but they didn't have anything bigger than what already was on the car.... The I noticed the Trailer tie down loops, less than $10 each Now I had my replacement Loop, next was hardware, well, some 3/8X1 Stainless allen bolts were the largest that would fit through the mounting holes in the tie downs, after grabbing some washers & nuts (They didn't have nylocks, so I will be replacing ASAP, but these are OK for now with lock washers..
Only simple hand tools needed to install, I went ahead & bough a 1/8s tap & bit ($8) since mine are metric & I wanted to play today..
Tape measure,
Drill, punch, tap, 8mm allen wrench & 14mm deep socket are all the tools need to do this to do this job...

OK, here we go...

1) measure where you want to mount the loop, there are ribs behind the bumper, so make sure you drill around them..

2) Mark your hole & drill.

3) Tap that hole!!!!! The bumper it's self isn't strong enough to hold, so this is just to give you a bit threads with the large washers in the back, small one up front.

4) Screw the bolt in, with the loop plate mounted, mark the 2nd hole & repeat the process. Add your washers, lock washers, you may need to bend the back washers to fit under the rib in the back of the bumper.

5) Clean up the bumper, either paint or powder coat the loops RED and either tough up the bumper or place a decal behind the mounts...

The front mounds the same way, but you will need to remove the bumper to fit the washers & nuts... I'm going to powder coat the front loops.

Now you can sit back & enjoy a nice Arogant Bastard Ale knowing that you have a solid tow loop at each end for a bit over $20

Now, there is one more thing, you may want to put something behind the loops so they don't bounce & bang on your bumper, I using pieces of Astro Deck, a foan decal for surfboard(I just happen to have a few peices around, will update when installed..
Old 09-27-2009, 04:38 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Low Price Tow loops for 944s