Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

'88 924S *BAD* dash--what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '88 924S *BAD* dash--what to do?

I bought an '88 924S with about 80K miles on it with the intention of using it as driver. It's in fairly good, to very good mechanical condition. It's one of those annoying cars that has a lot of good things and a lot of not so good. I've thought about dumping it, but realize I won't get 1/2 my invested dollars back so I've been thinking about driving it more, and slowly working on the things that need refurbishing. I really could have bought a MUCH nicer 924S for the $$ I have into this, but I had a bad day when I bought it and now I live with it.

It definitely needs paint, but that will be the last item. The interior, like the whole car is a mix--everything works, the seats are black Porsche-script and in good shape. The dash, however is really trashed. I actually don't mind the typical cracked dash--I can live with those. This one had a plastic dash cap that really didn't appeal to me, so I pulled it off and found that not only is the dash badly cracked (of course) but the PO glued the dash cap on with a wide variety of unknown substances, most notably big round globs of some kind of silicon adhesive and some kind of blackish weird substance. I've made some progress in cleaning all that up using "Goo-Gone" to soften up the adhesives and then scraping, picking, steel-wooling, but it's a lot of work and I don't really know how good it will get.

New dashes are just about unobtanium and if found, too expensive to justify putting into this car. Someone emailed me with a NOS dash, IN THE FACTORY BOX, but it's a) brown and would require re-dying, or painting, or something and b) he wants $600 for it. For that money I'd rather get the leather dash cover from The 928 Leather Shop:

http://928leathershop.com/Dashboard,...el_Covers.html

I think to even clean up the existing dash it would be best to take it out of the car (Clark's Garage has a procedure written up that looks do-able).

I thought I would post here and maybe get some suggestions on how to approach this.

Of course if anyone knows of a reasonably good dash for a decent price--$150??? , that might be the way to go also.

Or if anyone wants a fine-running, straight-bodied, low-mileage '88 924S as a project or basis for a 924 Spec racer---let me know and I'll start looking for a replacement that is in a little better cosmetic shape.

Waiting for the light bulb to go on....
Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm working on replacing my dash with a re-covered dash from 928leathershop.com. My current dash has some cracks, but nothing too bad (I just want it to be perfect). Not sure when I'll get around to the actual replacement, but if you'd like my current dash, I'd be happy to sell it to you. Let me know and I can email you pictures
Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

Sent you an email.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:18 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Got your email, will reply soon

Sorry for the slow reply on my part, its been a crazy few days for me

Quick Reply: '88 924S *BAD* dash--what to do?