924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

WTK: how to drive a 924 turbo 5sp? general G31

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:23 AM
bitburgerluvr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTK: how to drive a 924 turbo 5sp? general G31

There has been alot of talk about the synchros in the 931 transmission. I would like to use one of these trans for autocross because of the gear ratios being a little stiffer than the 944t trans.

I guess my question is how fast can a person actually shift these trannys with the old type synchros. Does using the gas pedal to raise engine rpms while up**** and downshift help or does this even apply.

What can I expect to pay for one of these? Do all of the older 924 torque tubes work with the g31? Is there any difference between the 944t and 924t axle/cv shafts?

That should be enough questions for now. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Double-clutching won't be all that great on an autox - just costing yourself time.

The torque tube is different for the snailshell, and again turbo vs. NA.

Are you trying to retrofit a snailshell to an audi-boxed car? Really not good.

Oh, yeah, and good luck finding new parts for it. One year only of production equals pretty crappy parts supply. That's why I converted my racecar, which came with a snailshell, over to the Audi box. Performance means exactly diddly squat if you can't make it work and maintain it.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM
bitburgerluvr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g31

Yeah, I was thinking of conversion to G31 but cant find them and havent really heard from too many people that run them. Forgot about parts avail and maybe youre right, stick with the audi type. thanks
Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want a G31, I have everything you would need to do the conversion. I can even provide you with an LSD-equipped unit with the main gearbox having been rebuilt 15 years ago (it's been sitting since then). This setup is currently at my rebuilders, awaiting for the diff swap and fresh seals. I have the torque tube, torsion carrier, transaxle mounts, and shifter assembly. I can also get you a set of polyurethane solid mounts. Mind you, it won't be cheap, but if you want a real race-equipped G31 setup, I can hook you up.

Quick Reply: WTK: how to drive a 924 turbo 5sp? general G31