Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Couple of questions, motor mounts, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:00 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions, motor mounts, etc...

Hey guys,

Well, I'm still in the process of fixing up my 84 Porsche 944. I'm one of those "fools" who purchased an older Porsche 944 for $1,200 and has since put about $2,000+ into it, making it worth now about $1,600.

But... I've learned a lot about the car, it runs very smoothly, the motor was not damaged (despite not running when I got it), etc.

Couple of questions:

1 - I just bought a new set of motor mounts. It should be pretty self explanitory, but is there any trick with these? The motor is situated unlike the typical RWD / Front engined vehicle. Is the passenger side or the drivers side the hardest one to do?

2 - Belts. I don't have an A/C compressor on it right now. I've got all new OEM lines, evaporator, condensor, etc, and plan to put an A/C compressor on it, but in the mean time, I want to just put a belt on it. What belt do I need to order so that I can power JUST the alternator by the crank pulley? I will not be using the power steering (that's getting ditched as well since it's all failed, and I'd rather have a manual rack anyway).

3 - I debated whether or not to ask this, since I know this may evoke some negative emotions. What are the CHEAPEST shocks that I can get? Currently, all four shocks are totally bad. The car bounces when I shake one side, so I know the shocks are totally gone. I haven't taken a good look, but I assume McPhearson struts in the front (or coil-overs?) and standard shocks in the rear. What are the cheapest ones I can get for now, just so that I can drive it and not have it feel floaty?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Dan924N/A
1st Gear

The exhaust manifold side is a complete pig hard to get to allen bolts, I turned into a tool maker to even get it off let alone replacing it
Old 06-21-2008, 06:31 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan924N/A
The exhaust manifold side is a complete pig hard to get to allen bolts, I turned into a tool maker to even get it off let alone replacing it
Thanks Dan, would you say that side takes the most punishment from normal wear and tear?

Thanks!

Todd
Old 06-23-2008, 05:03 PM
944Sknight
Rennlist Member

Smile

The cheapest shocks you can get are K Y B 's. I have a slightly used ones for
the rear for $30. if that sounds reasonable. You can pick it up if you are in the
Los Angeles area.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions, motor mounts, etc...