Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

no start 924 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Dennis Wilson
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The puff in the intake normally means the timing is too advanced and firing before the intake valve is closed. To check the timing, line up the notch on the harmonic balancer (may be hard to see) with the pointer on the waterpump. With that on the mark, the dot on the back of the cam gear should align with the pointer on the cam cover. If it isn't aligned, turn the engine over one revolution then check the alignment. If that is good, check the position of the rotor to the distributor housing. At TDC the rotor should align with a notch on the distributor (above the vacuum advance). That will determine where the #1 sparkplug wire should connect. IIRC it should be pointing toward the drivers side. Then make sure the other wires are in the correct 1,3,4,2 order. BTW have you changed the timing belt yet? Since the 924T (931) IS an interference engine, I wouldn't risk bending valves if the old belt breaks.

Dennis
Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I know about the belt and I have not chaned it. Plan is to make sure it runs (at all) and then change it. Still for $8....maybe you're right......

Thanks for these tips. I will check into it tomorrow!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Of course he's right - you'll look a right fool for trashing a perfectly good engine with an irreplaceable head (no, you can't even get valves for these any more) 'cause you were too lazy to install an $8 belt. Do it right or leave it to someone who will.

As for the rotor position, etc - sounds like the distributor has been installed backwards at some point. Correct fix is to remove it and reinstall so the rotor is pointing to that #1 plug wire (which was correctly positioned) - #1 TDC has the rotor pointing at the rear-most bolt on the intake manifold.

Replace the timing belt and diagnose/fix the plugged injector, then try to get it started.

Running dry is a great way to kill fuel pumps, if you haven't already figured that out.

As for the upgrades - yes, swap in brakes and MC from an early 944, make sure you get the brake plumbing right too, while you're at it. Expect also that you may have to source a trans and torque tube from a 944 as well, since that trans will likely be dead (sell it for parts on the 924 board, we can always use parts).
Old 05-08-2008, 03:08 PM
timo944
Instructor

Vaughan,

Is that Dale Earnhart on your hood???!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:31 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

No - that was a guy I used to race with, was taken at the end of his first/rookie season by lung cancer. We ran a fund-raiser in his memory the following year, organized by his widow, capping off the season with a win in his honor, allowing her to take her first (and only) checker flag lap:

Now we have a sponsor taking up that spot (she got the sticker back at the end of the season!):
Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 PM
timo944
Instructor

Canadian, Eh? Liek myself. Where are you from?

BTW Cancer reserach is where my donations go - had 3 friends die in about 5 years back in Montreal.

Pretty car.

Quick Reply: no start 924 turbo