How many 924S's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:04 PM
rsingher
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 924s Young owner - 16 months of ownership

Hello guys,

About shy of a year ago I purchased my first Porsche, 1988 924s SE model. Its been nothing but WONDERFUL to me and I drive it every single day. I am new to this thread, and will post pictures of the "beast" (jk) very shortly.

A little background about myself, I'm 26 years old, I work as systems engineer. I am a hobbyist and absolutely love cars and working on them and learning. I own a 370z also, along with managing and maintaining my parents vehicle as well (E350 Benz, Infiniti Qx4,).
Old 03-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Add me to the clan. 87S race car project picked up last year.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Squid924
Advanced

I have had my 924S for almost 21 years, several other Porsche cars have come and gone, but this one has always been part of my fleet. I love most european cars from the 80's and have had a handful of MKII GTI/GLI's and E30 BMWs.

Below are some recent pictures of my 87' 924S. Looking forward to the warm weather and some good driving.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Ryan Deutsch
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About a year and half ago I bought a 924S - my first 4 in car- and it needs a lot of work still but have fallen in love with it.

I picture it with a tubo on the other side of the motor with a exhaust manifold/header made by me, but I wonder if that defeats the reason I love the car. It is small but roomy, simple with a strong NA engine. what do u guys think?
Old 03-17-2018, 07:43 PM
auto2043
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Squid924
I have had my 924S for almost 21 years, several other Porsche cars have come and gone, but this one has always been part of my fleet. I love most european cars from the 80's and have had a handful of MKII GTI/GLI's and E30 BMWs.

Below are some recent pictures of my 87' 924S. Looking forward to the warm weather and some good driving.

Out of curiosity, what kind of rims are those and are they 16"? I have an '88 S with Zermatt Silver paint too but it doesn't look nearly as good as yours.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:51 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Squid924

Now that is beautiful!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Squid924
Advanced

Originally Posted by auto2043
Out of curiosity, what kind of rims are those and are they 16"? I have an '88 S with Zermatt Silver paint too but it doesn't look nearly as good as yours.
Thanks for the compliments.

The Rims are from a 968 (Cup I wheels) and are 16" x 7" in the front with 205/55R16 tires and 16" x 8" in the rear running 225/50R16. I think I am going to swap back to my D90 wheels before summer hits.

The car spent several years as a daily driver while I lived in NC (college years) with a few HPDE events every summer, over time it morphed into a strictly HPDE car with several suspension mods, roll bar, fixed back seats, etc. It sat for a few years as my family started to grow, and has slowly come out of hibernation with the stock seats going back in, and a little body work. The paint is better than it was, the car still has some dings but is meant to be driven. I would say the best things coming out of the bodywork was removing the US spec side markers, and adding the turbo nose panel.

Compliments from the community is what is motivating me to go the garage late at night and work on the never ending punch list.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Squid924
Advanced

Originally Posted by auto2043
Here is a set of the rims for sale:

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...new-tires.html
Old 04-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Irish44j
5th Gear

I got an '87 and an '88 924S, both off craigslist, both for $1000. The '88 had a decent engine and interior but awful body with terrible rear-end accident repair. The '87 had a nice body with terrible paint, blown engine, and soggy interior. I rebuilt the '88 engine, dropped it in the '87 body, redid the suspension/brakes/wheels, fixed up the interior, did a cheap paint job in original guards red, and now I have a road-trip car. Shaking it down right now. Did 300 miles today, no issues

Mostly stock, with a few interior upgrades, some staggered D90s and good tires, turbo spoiler, upgraded shift linkage/etc, and bilsteins and slightly larger swaybars. I already have a "fast car" (tuned WRX) and a race car (stage rally e30), so this one I am keeping fairly close to original for long-distance touring...

Name:  NM0l4ebh.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  ztdR1Avh.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  182.2 KB
this photo is a bit odd, my wife's iphone made it look like I have extreme camber haha....
Name:  GcOreVrh.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  166.0 KB
Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

As an owner of two 924S's, it's really nice to see other owners' with interest and care for these survivor cars!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:34 PM
no.radar
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default New guy here.

Just joined the 924S crowd with an '87 with 90k miles, Zermatt silver, black Porsche-script seats, OE swaybars front and rear. Bought from the third owner, a 75 year-old gentleman who owned the car for 20 years. Receipts for over $7,500 in maintenance, plus a copy of the new-vehicle order form from the dealer. Looks to be in generally excellent shape (see below). In the process of arranging for bringing services to baseline levels.

First question: How do you keep the roof from popping open when you shut a door?!?

Last edited by no.radar; 04-25-2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-30-2018, 03:44 PM
The_Other_Brad
1st Gear

Hey @no.radar...nice looking car. I just purchased my 924S and received it last week also. I really like to color of yours.

In case you don't know, the sunroof switch does two things: when the key is in the ignition (but not the accessory position) the sunroof switch releases the motorized arms at the back of the sunroof so that it can be fully removed. Make sure those arms are secured, otherwise the roof will pop open when you open and close the door. When the key is in the accessory position (or engine is on), those arms lift and retract the sunroof. This is an interesting setup but once you get used to it, you'll see how ingenious it is.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 PM
no.radar
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks, Brad, for the compliment and the info.

Turns out on my car, the gears that activate the tilt/open mechanism are shot. I have replacements, but until I sort the ECU problem on my 911, the 924's gonna have to wait.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:18 AM
matz8916
1st Gear

Hey guys as I don't think a new thread is necessary, I have been looking into getting a 924s for a while and have stumbled upon one that's up for sale. However, I have a few questions regarding it. I have looked everywhere for stock color palettes and have never found any indication of there being a 2 tone blue 924s (as the one being sold). Furthermore, I see that there is "topspeed" logo on the arm rest in the interior and on the paint outside which leads me to believe it was a custom paint job, as Topspeed on google leads to a custom site. I honestly do not really care if it was custom or not as I like how it looks, but I figured maybe one of you enthusiasts might know a bit more.

In terms of problems the dude says that the sunroof mechanism no longer works but it can be removed manually (he also adds that he ordered the piece). This is fine, no big deal however he also states that the power steering pulley is bent and screams when cold. Having searched the googles, this may end up costing 4-500$ to fix. I'm no mechanic but I have a good friend of mine who is and works on German cars so having it fixed up isn't really an issue, just the cost of repairing **** is. I know it's an older car and I expect to be putting in at least 1-2k in the next 2 years which I don't mind. I'd go check it but it is 1.5 hours away so having just a bit of info before making the journey would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I know it's not a ferrari, I know it's not fast but I just want something to cruise around with and visit some national parks with this summer as I have a functional turd that can be driver in the Winter.

Here's a pic and here's the SALE AD WITH MORE PHOTOS

Old 05-19-2018, 04:35 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by matz8916
Hey guys as I don't think a new thread is necessary, I have been looking into getting a 924s for a while and have stumbled upon one that's up for sale. However, I have a few questions regarding it. I have looked everywhere for stock color palettes and have never found any indication of there being a 2 tone blue 924s (as the one being sold). Furthermore, I see that there is "topspeed" logo on the arm rest in the interior and on the paint outside which leads me to believe it was a custom paint job, as Topspeed on google leads to a custom site. I honestly do not really care if it was custom or not as I like how it looks, but I figured maybe one of you enthusiasts might know a bit more.

In terms of problems the dude says that the sunroof mechanism no longer works but it can be removed manually (he also adds that he ordered the piece). This is fine, no big deal however he also states that the power steering pulley is bent and screams when cold. Having searched the googles, this may end up costing 4-500$ to fix. I'm no mechanic but I have a good friend of mine who is and works on German cars so having it fixed up isn't really an issue, just the cost of repairing **** is. I know it's an older car and I expect to be putting in at least 1-2k in the next 2 years which I don't mind. I'd go check it but it is 1.5 hours away so having just a bit of info before making the journey would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I know it's not a ferrari, I know it's not fast but I just want something to cruise around with and visit some national parks with this summer as I have a functional turd that can be driver in the Winter.

Here's a pic and here's the SALE AD WITH MORE PHOTOS

I seem to recall this car being for sale in Southern Ontario about this time last year or so. At the time, the owner had installed a hood scoop which he said he would remove should the new owner wish so. The paint job then was partly required and partly cosmetic?

I seem to recall that the price was less ($3900) than what is currently being asked for. The current owner may have had his fun and wants to test the waters.

Perhaps a run on the VIN number or a used car seller's package might be of interest. Regardless, I'd count on the kliks being an additional 100k. As well, I could be totally mistaken.

Quick Reply: How many 924S's out there?