924 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 10:27 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 924 buying advice

Hello guys,

I had origianlly posted this on the water cooled 924 board but didn't get that many replies, so I though maybe I can find more 924 owners on this board?

the original post was:

I am visting here from the 964 board. I live in the UK and have recently seen there are quite a few very cheap 924s on sale around here. I am only interested in the basic 924 (not Turbo or S) because of its cheap parts availability and straightforward mechanics, am I corect in believing this would be a viable inexpensive car to run? My idea is to use the 924 as a second car to the 964, mainly for going shopping, sitting in traffic, taking my mountain bike around etc. It would also be used by my girlfriend for longish trips (around 2 or 300 miles).

So, I thought about asking you guys for some advice on what to look out for. Yesterday I had a look at a cobal blue 1980 car, but it was a real DOG. It had absolutely no history, quite scratched and dented, engine smoked blue, car vibrated so much I nearly had a headache, interior was worse than some cars I have seen in scrapyards, etc. OK, pass on that one.

Anyways, as I am looking at cars under the £1000 margin most seem to require some work. My question is, what kind of work should be easy to fix and whats best left alone? A few cars I have seen advertised require "interior" work. Any ideas of what to look out for?

Finally, does anyone have any good links to an online 924 buyers guide?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2002, 12:01 PM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Ok. For the 924, get an excellent chassis and interior and tranny. Don't worry about the engine. If it's a pristine example, and the engine is baffed, redo it. If it's not a pristine example, and the engine is good, you've got an old bone that will run, but so what?

Engines are replacable. The chassis and interior are not (easily) replaced. Get one with a good dash, no water inside (i.e., no aquarium...test drive it with the heat on to see). Spend $1000 USD on restoration or engine rebuild.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:00 PM
Welsh 924 Blokey
2nd Gear

Hi Riccardo,

I'm a first timer too. I just picked up an 83 straight 2.0 924 for £800. She's excellently solid, needs quite a bit of TLC in the paint chip dept and has quite a few electrical niggles but all the MOT kit works fine. As a guide, here are a few of the problems I have to look at.

Shaking exhaust pipe
Bad earthing (causing most of the electrical probs)
****ty interior (just picked up a complete console, cassette holder, ashtray and gearstick valance for £50)
Missing sidelight cover
Bumped valance
Misfiring / Timing

However, she runs, she's taxed and has 10 months MOT, I have time to tinker while she's running.

Basically, dont go looking for a 'looker' for the money you want to spend cos basically you wont find one, if you can stand the paint chips (non metallic paint like Guards Red can come up wonders with a bit of T Cut) and a few rattles then that's a small price to pay for a Porsche for under a grand.

Good luck and keep your eye of Autotrader.co.uk for cheap ones, I got mine from there. There was quite a nice gold one for 1150 on there a few weeks back, the guy sent some piccys through and it looked pretty solid.

Have fun and let me know how u get on.

Cheers bro.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:03 PM
Welsh 924 Blokey
2nd Gear

Try alt.autos.porsche - had a lot of good advice from there...

This guy seems to know quite a bit too...

<a href="http://www.porsche.dabsol.co.uk/buy924.html" target="_blank">http://www.porsche.dabsol.co.uk/buy924.html</a>
Old 05-06-2002, 06:18 PM
CBass
Racer

Big problem areas to look for

Rust/leaking around battery

Leaking from hatch

Make sure it has the Audi 5 speed, this is the tranny used in 944s too. The other 5 speed was the Porsche 915 unit, which was not as reliable, and much more expensive to repair/replace.

Make sure it has 5 bolt wheels. The 5 bolts had good suspension and 4 wheel discs. This is the most important performance feature of the 924. It doesn't have a lot of power, so make sure it handles really well.

Quick Reply: 924 buying advice