Old 10-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing Baby Fat

I am working on my 924S this winter to try and get the weight down. What are some simple things I can take off to get the weight down? I still need the car to be street legal however. Any place on the car is fair game as long as it stays street legal! Thanks - Jay
Old 10-27-2006, 08:51 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

How far you wanna go, and how much do you need to keep? There's street-legal, then there's streetable. How picky are they in NH?

Rear seats, of course. Sound deadening en masse, like under all the carpet - can remove, then reinstall carpet, car will be stupid loud but lighter. You can even replace your old carpet with lightweight; if your orig carpet is decent, you could sell it! You can even scrape all the sound deadening off the floorpan, etc (it's glued on, use a heat gun and scraper). Racing seats (for the front) will be lighter, too. If you're really motivated, you can go into the wheel wells with a wire wheel on a right-angle grinder and take off all the undercoating.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep, the undercoating is my winter project and I can't say I'm excited about it
Old 10-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Now if I take off the sound deadening how load will it be. I want to be able to drive the car around town. Will I be able to carry on a conversation in the car? I don't mind load, but I don't want to go deaf and I want my wife (who doesn't mind load either) to ride in it. - Jay
Old 10-27-2006, 11:35 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished stripping mine out. I took the back seats, carpet and all of the sound insulation out. I also removed most of the interior panels but my car is primarily a track car so I dont know how far you want to go. Its definitely louder, but not nearly as bad as I thought. I dont know that Id go pick up a date in the car (no one can seem to figure out how to use the harnesses anyways, LOL) but its not bad at all for driving on the street. If your wife is going to be riding in it Id probably reinstall some sort of carpeting. As far as removing the sound insulation the heat gun will work but Id try getting some dry ice (or leaving the car outside overnight so it gets real cold) This will harden the tar paper stuff anf usually you can whack it with a hamme and it will start to crack. Its a lot less messy than the heat gun method. If you go the heat gun route get some xylene from a local hardware store to remove any glue residue that is left after its done. Here is a pic of what mine looks like now (I painted the floor board with rustoleum):

I still have a couple more things to remove from the car, but I need to take a break from the interior for a while. I guess its a good time to start on the torsion bars, LOL.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Silverman, looks good. My car is black so I will probably paint it with rustoleum and then paint it black again. Or I might put the carpet back in depending on how much it weights. - Jay
Old 10-27-2006, 12:13 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

The tar paper and the fiberglass looking insulation definitely weighs more than the carpet. The carpet maybe weighed 20 lbs. The tar paper was at least double. It is all over the interior. The entire floor pan and driveshaft tunnel were covered in the stuff. The rear carpet weighs a decent amount since it has all of that foam in it. I didnt weigh everything but I think I lost about 150 lbs with everything that was removed, and I put about 50 back in with the roll bar. The factory says my car weighed 2600 so if Im down to around 2500 and still 100% street legal Im happy for now. Hopefully Ill get the car weighed over the winter.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well done. Have you taken the AC out yet? Any engine mods planned to get a few extra ponies out of her? Also, do you have a '87 or a '88?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:20 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

AC is still in. Car is an 88. Its one of the SE models with M030 suspension, crank windows, manual locks etc. so it was pretty light to begin with. Before I start getting into the motor I need to decide what I want to do. If I decide to go racing the classes Id run in dont allow much to be done to the motor so I have to keep that in mind. For now Im focusing on weight, suspension and learning how to drive the car. Over the winter I have a few things Id like to do. Most of it is small stuff though like new calipers but Id like to do the suspension, or at least the T bars since they are the most time consuming. Ill probably remove the AC over the winter too.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sounds good. I hope you post pictures of your projects. I will try and do the same!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:22 AM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jay do you have a harness bar in your car???
Old 10-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Roll bar that has a harness. Why? I bought the bar from John Haney (sp). Actually, I bought it from someone else who bought it from John.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:23 PM
JS Correa
3rd Gear

Jay.
Youve got mail......

Scott.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I do!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 11:24 AM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jay did we ever put your car on the scales?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Baby Fat