924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Sources for Driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:26 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sources for Driving lights

Hey Guys - I just did a quick search on here and on the net for the 924 Euro Driving lights that fit in the bumper with no luck. I'm looking for a new set if anyone knows of any sources please let me know. Used sets are available but i'm hoping to find something new if possible.

Also - Has anyone ever seen a 924 with driving lights that were any color but clear? Yellow perhaps? Post some pictures if you got 'em!

Thanks in advance!
Erich
Old 07-01-2004, 12:43 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

I did locate some English places for 136 pounds for a set of new ones. What do you guys think?

Erich
Old 07-01-2004, 01:13 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

136 quid is sort of expensive for just the driving lights but what can you do? that better be for a pair.

Yellow lenses went out totally a few years ago when the French finally dropped the yellow requirements. There are a ton of interesting stories on yellow lenses. The one I like is from WWII. The French had yellow lenses and the Germans white. This made it a lot easier for the snipers to hit the Germans at night. And it took the Germans awhile to figure out why they were being shot at. Any 2 year old could have told them why.

There are studies that conclude that yellow light is better for seeing. Our Sun is still in the yellow phase of its life so critters on Earth, like us, have adapted to that light color for seeing.

I think there is a French Rennlister that has a 951 or S2 named Thom. If anyone would know if some old yellow stock is still in the inventory system he would be the guy to ask for help.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$250.00 for the pair doesn't sound too bad. Make sure your credit card company knows what you are up to or they may hold up the transaction.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:59 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Ice - That price was for the pair of new porsche driving lights. I've only check two places, the 1st was 68 and the other was 64 a piece. But i like your idea of contacting a french rennlister about these. I will email him tonight if i can find him on the list. Thanks a lot for the tip.

Also - Do you know if the US foglight relay is the same as the euro driving light relay? Are there different Voltages involved? Manning you may know this too, i remember you mentioned this in a previous thread.

Thanks guys!
Erich
Old 07-03-2004, 12:36 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Erich,

If you are just going to pull out the original foglights and replace with driving, you will be just fine. All you are doing is changing the lens design and reflector. Relay will work fine as it is the same one for both.

Though you may have one problem. The fogs in most markets are wired to shut off when you turn the high beams on. I'd bet yours are too. So you are going to have to do some changes to the bridge adaptor or rewire the fog socket. Washington951 did a bunch of research on this when he put is dual driving/fog lights in. He is now down in the south Florida area so give him a call.

I usually tell guys to just rewire. But it sounds like you may not be all that experienced so go slow and talk to people. I don't have an 87 924s wiring diagram handy and I'm not sure if Washington951's description will be accurate for your car. See what Michael Manning has to say as he has the 88 model year.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:11 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Hey Ice - I appreciate all your help. On my car now there are no foglights, currently its the stock 924S US bumper that i'm converting to the Euro 924S style. However, as i have noted previously, the wiring for fog/driving lights seems to be built into the current factory wiring harness.

From my talks with manning i think i need a relay and a switch to turn them on. Other than that i think its all set. But to be sure i'd have to go back and read some old postings of his in this forum.

I am very interested in keeping the fog lights on with the high beams and possibly also as a sort of DRL, if thats possible. I'll have to learn more about this.

BTW - I emailed Thom about calling a french porsche dealer about the yellowish lights. We'll see what happens..
Thanks!
Erich
Old 07-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I haven't actually wire in the lights yet. I have installed the switch and the relay, but I can't do much with the lights I have until I get the plugs for the back of the lights, or just temporarily rig something. Besides, I don't have the bumper mounted yet. It gets painted in about two weeks, yippee!

I really don't mind if mine go out when the brights are on, and plan to aim them kind of low anyway. Dan's light cannons are more light then I could ever need.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:55 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Hehehe, but Michael, some guys want to burn holes through the heads of left hand lane slowpokes that won't move over. That is where throwing out over 600 watts comes in handy.

Erich, if you have the wiring already in your harness then I guess you are almost set. Most 944 and 24s don't. Porsche didn't build a master wiring harness for all markets. If you end up wanting to go with a seperate relay and switch system I think I have an orphan relay here you can buy. It is the waterproof type I put in my headlight packages. And I believe Todd has an extra fog light switch and plug you could pick up for around 10 or 20 bucks including the plug. Then you would be all set and look factory.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan,

The wiring is there on the 924S for fog lights. The is a socket on the harness behind the center console for the fog switch and a socket dangling out of the harness to the right of the steering shaft under the dash for the relay. Under the front bumper there are a pair of wires on each side of the car to power the fog light. No sockets for the back of the lights, just female spade type connections.

Now, bear in mind I said fog lights. On the 924 series cars the fog lights hang under the bumper and there were no driving lights for the US cars. The back of the driving lights have three spade type connections and the lights themselves house the 50w H1 bulb and a little amber bulb, I guess for parking(?). I think you are right that the US harness is a bit different as I suspect there should be a third wire hanging out to make use of the two bulbs in each driving light versus the single bulb in fog lights.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Driving light:
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2004, 03:23 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Michael, I owned a 931 before I got my 951S and now that you mention all this I do remenber why I have an H1 bulb laying around. For the driving lights.

I never paid too much attention as to how Porsche wired the front lights since is was so bad in any case. As halogen light output varies at the 3.4th power to voltage changes you need to rewire anyway to get the light output you want. So, if you are doing all this work on making your front end look better you may as well do the fogs or driving correctly and rewire.

That driving light you posted probably has a "City Light" in it. Those are usually white though. In any event, it is for parking at night and is usually a small 5 watt bulb. They are also available in the headlights. Maybe someone from Europe can explain how these are actually useful. Unless you are just running in for a quickie with your girl, you are going to have a dead battery if you leave all the marker lights on overnight. Maybe all Europeans can't see for $hit and you need to leave lights going on parked cars on the side of the street to avoid being run into.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:07 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

I heard back from Thom in France and he requested the Part number for the yellow driving lights. Unfortunately, on the computer i have right now i can't get the resolution high enough to look for the number myself.

Could somebody please provide me with the regular part number AND the yellow driving light number if it even exists? TIA!
Erich
Old 07-23-2004, 02:01 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Erich, did you ever solve this yellow driving light? If your lights are under the bumper and don't have to fit into a cast pocket I could probably get some Cibies in yellow for you.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:06 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Hey Ice - I've been waiting to get me to part numbers so i could pass that along to the 'French Fellow.' In the mean time i'm starting to like the look of just plain white driving lights a little more. I also haven't recieved my bumper yet so i'm not really in a rush at all to do all this.

You wouldn't happen to know the part numbers for the Euro driving lights would you?

Thanks Ice!
Erich

Quick Reply: Sources for Driving lights