924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Replacing 931 Shift coupler bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 12:18 PM
mdfmatos
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing 931 Shift coupler bushings

Hello! Recently I tried to replace the coupler bushings on my snailshell 931, only to find out it would be impossible without droping the gearbox. The coupler simply wont pass between the top of the gearbox and body. I looked online but couldnt find how to (if possible) drop the gearbox (1-2cm would be enough) without removing it from the car. I removed the muffler and the two gearbox side screws in the mounts but it didnt drop. Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated!
Old 07-08-2019, 03:35 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

As I'm given to understand, you cannot easily replace those bushings in the transmissions normal position. That said, you should be able to lower (not drop completely) the snailshell enough to get the job done. I've got bushings in my toolbox for this PITA job whenever I decide to do it.

This thread should give you some assistance: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=29099
Old 07-08-2019, 05:20 AM
mdfmatos
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
As I'm given to understand, you cannot easily replace those bushings in the transmissions normal position. That said, you should be able to lower (not drop completely) the snailshell enough to get the job done. I've got bushings in my toolbox for this PITA job whenever I decide to do it.

This thread should give you some assistance: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=29099
Thanks for sharing the link, it will definately help! My car desperately needs some bushings. Right now there is absolutely nothing inside the coupler. These bushings were probably never replaced and I'm assuming that as time flew by they turned into dust. But quite a PITA job indeed!

Quick Reply: Replacing 931 Shift coupler bushings