Internal Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 04:31 PM
aaroncuyler
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Fuel Pump

Hiya,

I'm a rookie 924 owner who has just purchased a 1983- It hasn't been run in 3 years and I've had to replace the fuel distributor and the injectors- after this is managed to start briefly and then I drained the fuel tank in hopes of making it run smoothly. I've ordered a new fuel filter but am struggling to find any breakdown of how my fuel pump works- I've read that there could be a internal pump as a external pump. But some have a fuel strainer inside the tank. I've put a picture of what my exit point from the tank looks like. Its a hex head with two electric nodes- I can hear the pump running when the ignition is turned on, so it's working. Can anyone explain this to me?

Cheers,
Aaron
​​​​​​​
Old 06-29-2019, 10:32 PM
petercal39
5th Gear

Question Internal tank

Newby to this car, but...I believe two fuel pumps are standard, one is internal to the tank and has a somewhat delicate screen which can get clogged and can be carefully cleaned. More experienced owners will correct me if I am wrong on this! I will bet that the spade connections are to power the internal tank. Is it the internal pump, or the external one, that you hear running? I assume wires went to the connections shown in your pic?

Last edited by petercal39; 06-29-2019 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Additional question
Old 06-30-2019, 07:00 PM
aaroncuyler
5th Gear

Cheers for that dude- It sounds like the eternal tank that turn on when the ignition is turned on- there isn't anything that plugs into these probes, so perhaps there is just a filter in that tank?
Old 08-17-2019, 03:44 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Porsche did not import an '83 924 to North America...or ROW, far as I know. Your car has a 17-digit VIN, correct? What is the 10th digit...a "C"? If so, that would indicate your car is an '82.

Assume your car is still not running?

Porsche added a second, in-tank, fuel pump [928 608 013 00] to the 924 in '79 [through '82]. There should be power/ground going to those two spade lugs on that in-tank filter/screen fitting to run your internal pump. Your car will not run, properly, until you resolve the missing harness issue.

Quick Reply: Internal Fuel Pump