924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Won't stay running 924s

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 02:31 PM
RVA924s
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't stay running 924s

Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:25 am Post subject: Not running...

Hey all, looking for advice,
87 924s.
Had a problem with car randomly shutting off while driving.
Car progressed to shutting off on hard acceleration.
Then car got to the point it would fire up and immediately shut off. (sometimes a sputter)
I have recently changed the fuel line, filter, and fuel pump.
installed new DME relay (and tried to check wires feeding it to make sure its seated properly)
Removed/ sanded spark plugs. (had a little black build up but not bad).
Ensured gaped to .030 ish.
also checked to see if had steady stream of fuel at fuel rail.. (quite a bit came out when I gave it ignition)
Speed and reference sensor both showed about 1000 omhs,when checked with multimeter.
Now care fires up and runs about 20 seconds and shuts off. (doesn't choke out or sputter.. just shuts off). Has a smell of 'un-burnt. fuel' as best i can describe it
Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 05-30-2019, 12:13 PM
JS924s88
1st Gear

Fuel Pressure Regulator. 1. if it failed it wont hold the pressure at 3bars = 49PSI - the injectors will not have enough pressure to keep them primed. 2. if you pull the vacuum line off and it is wet the fuel is passing into your vacuum line. you will get a raw gas smell inside the car because the vacuum line is attached to the VENT Actuator behind the glove box. 3. fuel issues will seem like it is something else (electrical or mechanical) because you cant seem to track it down.

If your regulator is 30 years old... "bingo" parts fail...
Old 05-30-2019, 12:53 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

I had a similar issue and it turned out that one of the legs on the DME relay didnt have full contact so it would shut down every now and then. I looked carefully on the legs on the relay and it was visible that one did not have contact like the others.
I bent that leg slightly to make contact in the central electric and never had that issue again.

Worth a check
/Peder
Old 06-03-2019, 08:22 PM
RVA924s
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JS924s88
Fuel Pressure Regulator. 1. if it failed it wont hold the pressure at 3bars = 49PSI - the injectors will not have enough pressure to keep them primed. 2. if you pull the vacuum line off and it is wet the fuel is passing into your vacuum line. you will get a raw gas smell inside the car because the vacuum line is attached to the VENT Actuator behind the glove box. 3. fuel issues will seem like it is something else (electrical or mechanical) because you cant seem to track it down.

If your regulator is 30 years old... "bingo" parts fail...

You sir, are a genius! That was it! All those parts replaced and it came down to the fuel pressure regulator.. I never would have looked there.. As quite frankly, I had no idea it existed..
Thanks a million'!

Quick Reply: Won't stay running 924s