924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

1980 Porsche 924 cylinder lock not turning

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 03:43 AM
thair92
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Porsche 924 cylinder lock not turning

I recently got a 1980 Porsche 924 that has been sitting for a long time, putting the key in the cylinder lock to turn on the car but the key is not turning like its locked. Checked the steering lock but seem s its not locked, tried the key on both doors locks and the trunk but it turns (little rough). The key doesn't really look worn out. I sprayed a little WD40 and tried again but nothing. Any ideas on how to approaches or if I am missing something?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:51 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thair92
I recently got a 1980 Porsche 924 that has been sitting for a long time, putting the key in the cylinder lock to turn on the car but the key is not turning like its locked. Checked the steering lock but seem s its not locked, tried the key on both doors locks and the trunk but it turns (little rough). The key doesn't really look worn out. I sprayed a little WD40 and tried again but nothing. Any ideas on how to approaches or if I am missing something?
try some Houdini lock spray. I got some on Amazon after searching video after video about what to put in a lock cylinder that wont gunk it up or mess with electronics. Spray it in there and just move key in and out a bunch of times. Eventually spray in and see if it will turn a bit

also if you have another Porsche or have ever had another Porsche make sure its the right key for the car. I have had a key that opened 2 different cars but couldnt figure out why it wouldnt turn the ignition. Duh. It was for the other Porsche. Anyway. Houdini it for a few days. If no luck, look at ignition switch replacement. Not a hard job on early 924s. Just be very gentle with all that 40 year old plastic and careful pulling the plastic sockets off for turn signals and wiper switches and all that. i broke one of those once and set me back about 300.00 for a new real oem one cuz I didnt want it to break for 40 more years. Lol

Quick Reply: 1980 Porsche 924 cylinder lock not turning