924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

LED Tail/Brake/Backup light replacements

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 07:34 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question LED Tail/Brake/Backup light replacements

Anyone tried LEDs for the backup/brake/tail lights like Sylvania Zevos? They're on Amazon, not some random off-brand, and aren't too butt-hurtingly expensive...
Old 01-25-2019, 08:14 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have cruise control they won't work as brake lights, other use OK.
The cruise control uses a very small current thru the regular incandescent bulbs and the LEDs will glow dimly.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:15 AM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
If you have cruise control they won't work as brake lights, other use OK.
The cruise control uses a very small current thru the regular incandescent bulbs and the LEDs will glow dimly.
i replaced all mine on my S2 but you are correct the brake lights will glow dimly unless you put an inline resistor in place. Read about those and get a pack of them. Also replaced the hazard/blinker/flasher relay with an LED equivalent to stop the hyperflash on blinkers. Check out superbrightled. Also tried Cree and a couple of others. Get a few brands and find one that doesnt stay on all the time like blinkers and reverse lights and parking lights shouldnt need resistor. Only brake light circuit needs it. Got red yellow and white lights for entire rear lighting. Also emery cloth the hell out of those old rusty contacts while its apart!

Take the 50w 6ohm resistor and screw it to top underside of trunk just under third brakelight the wire it inline with the third light. That baby gets hotter than a 100 watt bulb so make sure its on metal.

The lights flash ok now and none stay on unless car is on. Works really well and looks like a 2015+ car now. Haha

Best part is with full lights on I get only .1 volts drop off battery where before with incandescent I was getting like 3 volt drop. The more I would brake in stop and go traffic the more the battery would die. Now it just sits at 14volts charging all the time lights on or off

Quick Reply: LED Tail/Brake/Backup light replacements