New to Porsche and Forum- with a question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 01:29 AM
Halfsek
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Porsche and Forum- with a question

Hi all,

I guess technically, the first question of many. I just bought a '79 924 to be my project car to learn about cars. Seller said she got the engine to turn over, but since it's been sitting for 3+ years, she didn't want to run it. So a fuel flush is in order along with other stuff.

My main question for now is what other models are the interior parts compatible with? For example, seats are shot and dash might need to be replaced as well, so hoping other models parts will fit.

Thanks in advance and apologies in advance.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:19 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 295 Posts

Congratulations and welcome. I think you'll find that what the seller meant to say is that the car won't run.
It would be reasonable to think that the fuel system is the main fault keeping it from running.
The fuel system is Bosch K-Jetronic which is a continuous injection system (CIS). This is a great and relatively simple system but has very specific requirements for proper set up.
Most of the problems with the K Jet system stem from failed components like fuel pump(s), sitting unused, dirty fuel (rust or varnish in the tank) and from not being set to specification.
Be careful with flushing the system prior to understanding the components. There are very very fine mesh screens that can be easily plugged with flushed debris so isolating components becomes an important part of any system cleaning attempt.
If you plan to work on this yourself you will need a fuel pressure test set compatible with CIS. There's no way around it if you expect the car to run well. I also highly recommend getting a book titled Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management by Charles Probst.
As for interior, all early 944, up to 85.1 will be compatible.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:52 AM
Halfsek
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, thanks so much. I’m in no rush, so I’ll be getting what I have to do it right.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche and Forum- with a question