924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

1977 Porsche 924 wheels color code please

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:44 PM
desmocarrera
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 Porsche 924 wheels color code please

Hi I would like to start the restauration of a 924 that is in the family for 41 years now. I have visited the Porsche museum and noticed that the green 924 they had displaced did not have the exact color on the rims (they were a bit too shiny and silver) I was wondering if anybody knows the exact color code for the rims ? Mine are still original, but I think they have to be repainted, lots of brakedust particles are burnt into the rims. Many thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:35 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by desmocarrera
Hi I would like to start the restauration of a 924 that is in the family for 41 years now. I have visited the Porsche museum and noticed that the green 924 they had displaced did not have the exact color on the rims (they were a bit too shiny and silver) I was wondering if anybody knows the exact color code for the rims ? Mine are still original, but I think they have to be repainted, lots of brakedust particles are burnt into the rims. Many thanks in advance.
Sounds like your car has a great story.

I would suggest posting in the main 924-44-68 forum, there is much more traffic there: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-968-forum-70/

You can also try http://924board.org/ . It is a good site for other 924-specific questions and research.

Remember your wheels may be faded, yellowed, or with a dulled clear coat, making the Museum's green car's wheels appear too shiny.

That said, it is generally believed that Wurth was the original supplier for Porsche's silver wheel paint. Wurth offers a "silver wheel paint" aerosol can. However, if you're looking for the best finish, obviously an aerosol can isn't the best choice.

There is a post over on Pelican where someone types the code might be L980. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/5731905-post11.html

You can also have a wheel shop match it. Use the spare wheel as a base to match. (I believe your car would have been equipped with a full size spare, and should have the same wheel in the trunk.)

Also, I would recommend against powdercoating the wheel. Painting is usually better, as the powdercoating is very thick and can hide a crack that paint wouldn't. Also, most Porsche wheels (and most OEM wheels in general) have the lug seat masked off. A painted lug seat area is more slippery than a bare one.

Before you go ahead and restore these wheels, make sure there is a good selection of 14" tires available. Tire selection has slowly been dwindling for smaller sizes. You can always upsize to a 15" and keep the original wheels to use later or hang on the wall. There is one 15" Porsche wheel that would be "correct" for that car (it is called a Basketweave wheel, from the 924 Turbo). Additionally there are many aftermarket choices. Some older Audis share that bolt pattern. There are lots of period wheels produced in that fitment that offer an original and/or period look.

For what they are worth, below are two images that might best show the original finish. They appear to be press images taken at Weissach.

Good luck in your quest!

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-16-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:16 AM
desmocarrera
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your superb anwser !
Old 02-01-2018, 06:59 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

That said, it is generally believed that Wurth was the original supplier for Porsche's silver wheel paint. Wurth offers a "silver wheel paint" aerosol can. However, if you're looking for the best finish, obviously an aerosol can isn't the best choice.

Also, I would recommend against powdercoating the wheel. Painting is usually better, as the powdercoating is very thick and can hide a crack that paint wouldn't. Also, most Porsche wheels (and most OEM wheels in general) have the lug seat masked off. A painted lug seat area is more slippery than a bare one.
Really ?? Wurth painted the 924 wheels back in the 70's ?? or do they just make many things including aerosols of touch up paint which is similar?

99% of all production wheel are Powdercoated ?/ this myth about don;t get your wheels powdercoated often does the rounds !!!

The Powder process involves stripping the wheel back to bare metal, where you're more likely to see any cracks! than the inferior method of using body panel wet paint
and putting this on top of the old original powdercoat

Yes all OEM wheels have not just the lug clamping areas masked off but also the rear hub mounting face, something many powdercoaters and bodyshops don;t do!

Powdercoating wheels with 3 materials, applied at different times and temperatures is the best finish for wheel, it lasts for years.

Wet painting is baked at 80 degress, not 200 as Powder which is also Paint but in a dry format, applied with an electrostatic gun and charge.

There is no information on any VIN plates or handbooks on Wheel code colours for any car, because they are done by sub contractors on a large scale and
using as above dry paint powder primer and lacquer. Hence no ingredient is available in a wet Aerosol or tin etc..

Bodyshops use Solvent or Water based paint for the colour, and mix and match to get a similar colour when painting wheels, or many aftermarket paint suppliers
do the donkey work and supply specific paints fro set manufacturers but it's based on hat they see as there version which is very different compared to a bodyshop
that has and can get the exact formula for a body colour from the code's breakdown in materials.....

R

Quick Reply: 1977 Porsche 924 wheels color code please