Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924 and 931 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-and-931-forum-68/)
-   -   Waking a 924se from it's 18 year slumber! (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-and-931-forum/1024241-waking-a-924se-from-its-18-year-slumber.html)

chumwon 09-07-2017 12:10 PM

Waking a 924se from it's 18 year slumber!

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 1988 924s from a barn here in Michigan to restore it in honor of my grandfather I never met who rallied and road raced his 912. My grandma (her husband) is my hero and was recently diagnosed with stage 3 cancer so I told her I couldn't afford a 912 like they used to have but I'll get us a porsche to cannonball across the country one last time! I took a risk with buying my first porsche but I'm very mechanically inclined and the Germans knew what they were doing when they built them, I just have to figure out their ways!

This car after going threw maintenance records was last driven in 1999 with 72,xxxmi. It was parked when the car just wouldn't start one morning. Fast forward 18 years to just a few days ago when I found this gem sitting in the back of a barn. I thought it was just a very clean and lightly used 924s but after seeing all the aluminum underneath this thing and great suspension I decided to find the sticker in the back near the hatch to see what options it came with to make it this fancy. That's when I found out it's the 756 special edition lemans!! I think every single thing is still original so I'm going to try an go through as much as I can to refresh everything. This is my first porsche and I was wondering if anyone could give the pointers on things so look over and service after sitting for so long!

These are the option codes listed
C02
G57
The only code i can't find is the G57?..It came with the tool kit, cleaning kit, and the crazy spare tire. Unfortunately it looks like the original owner must of took the medallion...

Loving this car already, it's not a 912 but it's growing on grams and I'm excited to start getting into it!
Thanks in advance everyone for any tips or advice!

FrenchToast 09-07-2017 09:56 PM

This is quite the story. Very sad to hear about your grandfather. Taking on this project is very admirable.

Can't help you on G57. Options with a letter typically refer to a package grouping. Could be a steering wheel, power equipment (if that was available on the SE), something else.

I'm not sure if the 924SE has aluminum suspension arms, however to my knowledge they are the same as the 924S.

Cleaning kit is a neat find. By crazy spare tire, do you mean the collapsible tire? Replacement medallions come up on eBay once in a while.

This seems to be a well kept example. Are the seats in good shape? While replacement pinstripe fabric is available, it is very fragile and seeing them in good condition is rare. Be conscious of what you wear in them, jeans or something with buttons could split the fabric.

The SE is a very cool car.

Originally Posted by chumwon (Post 14461031)
the Germans knew what they were doing when they built them

This however, is debatable. ;)
_

I would encourage you to post in the main 924-44-68 section, there is far more traffic there.

chumwon 09-07-2017 10:55 PM

Thanks for the response and advice on the other section to put this in!

I suppose that's what the tire is and it's on a big red rim!

The interior is almost new besides dash and some of the drivers seat from getting in an out..

I believe this was a demo car out of Chicago they were using to show with options stop that'd explain the weird package.

JoeBoxer 11-21-2017 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by chumwon (Post 14462381)
Thanks for the response and advice on the other section to put this in!

I suppose that's what the tire is and it's on a big red rim!

The interior is almost new besides dash and some of the drivers seat from getting in an out..

I believe this was a demo car out of Chicago they were using to show with options stop that'd explain the weird package.

Congratulations! You have found one of the rarest 924's ever made! Only 500 Special Editions we're to be made for the U.S. market. The Le Mans in Germany and sold in Spain as The Spirit. As regular base 924S's selling at Amelia Island March 2017 and Monterey Car week 2017 selling for $19,900 and $20,000 at auctions, the SE will soon fetch similar to more $$$ as not many even know this car was made and very few survivors still exist in the U.S. today. Non sunroof models are preferred and with the least added options as the 924SE was designed to be a light weight performer. Even more rare are the ones without ac, power steering, radio and sunroof.

Giorginetto 01-02-2018 03:13 PM

https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/...codes/924s-88/

nothing on this option number here ...

Giorginetto 03-05-2018 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by chumwon (Post 14461031)
The only code i can't find is the G57?..It came with the tool kit, cleaning kit, and the crazy spare tire. Unfortunately it looks like the original owner must of took the medallion...

Loving this car already, it's not a 912 but it's growing on grams and I'm excited to start getting into it!
Thanks in advance everyone for any tips or advice!

Is there a recess in the glove compartment for that medallion ? Could you possibly post a pic of this recess/location for the medallion ? I have seen a few on sale on ebay they go usually for like $200....

Holytin 03-16-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Giorginetto (Post 14847749)
Is there a recess in the glove compartment for that medallion ? Could you possibly post a pic of this recess/location for the medallion ? I have seen a few on sale on ebay they go usually for like $200....

I’d like to understand where that “glovebox myth” is coming from...

Yes, all 1988 SE’s (911, 944, 924S) came with a medallion but not mounted to the inside of the glovebox lid (talking about the 924S only). The recess in the lid is just not large enough for the medallion. Looked at it, tried it and it just doesn’t belong there. And then there are even those that claim that the original owners name was engraved in there somewhere. Well, these cars are somewhat special but NOT THAT special. However, my current SE is the second SE I’ve owned (parted the first one) and the medallion came together with ALL the original documentation including the coin but just not mounted to the glovebox lid, and not engraved. Hope this helps. Andre’

Giorginetto 09-28-2018 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Holytin (Post 14874832)

I’d like to understand where that “glovebox myth” is coming from...

Yes, all 1988 SE’s (911, 944, 924S) came with a medallion but not mounted to the inside of the glovebox lid (talking about the 924S only). The recess in the lid is just not large enough for the medallion. Looked at it, tried it and it just doesn’t belong there. And then there are even those that claim that the original owners name was engraved in there somewhere. Well, these cars are somewhat special but NOT THAT special. However, my current SE is the second SE I’ve owned (parted the first one) and the medallion came together with ALL the original documentation including the coin but just not mounted to the glovebox lid, and not engraved. Hope this helps. Andre’

So this urban myth of this so called medallion recess ( and therefore a bespoke glove compartment lid which I always found strange...) is terminated ! I guess these SE models just came with the medallion loose then .