Another 914 - '75 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 01:48 PM
Carson Kit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Another 914 - '75 2.0

Hi-

The last project 914 that I was cosidering turned out to be vastly overrated.

I have now found a 1975 2.0. It has a red exterior and a black interior with red seats.

It is mostly original save for the new CD player and Polk speakers.

It now has 2k miles on a rebuilt engine that came from a Porsche specialty shop, original paint with lettering, new shocks, no accidents, Bridgestone Potenza tires, etc.

The seller is looking for $6,800.

I am considering going to see it this weekend.

I have pictures of the trunk, int., and exterior and from what I can tell there in no rust.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Carson
Old 11-17-2003, 02:28 PM
Rouser
Instructor

Seems high for a '75, considering that the '75/'76 aren't the most popular models. Biggest arguement is the dislike of the large rubber bumpers, and the addition of a cat. converter, requiring the entire exhaust system be changed, becoming more restrictive and raising operating temps.

The price is all what you're willing to pay for this particular example. If you want to pay $6.8K for this car, than that's what you're going to pay. I would look for rust in all the usual hidden areas; behind rocker panels, underneath the battery tray, under carpeting behind both seats, the pedal box area, behind the door jams, etc.

If you believe this car's a keeper, than this price should be re-negotiated.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Carson Kit
Advanced

Rouser-

I just got off the phone with the seller.

It is a ketchup colored red.

The engine was rebuilt due to a misfire and it turned out to be 2 cracked cylinders. It was rebuilt from the bottom up, new camshaft, bored cylinder walls, and two used but good cylinders. It has new bilstein shocks and new tires.

The negatives are: one rust bubble the size of a pencil eraser, one ding in the trunck where it was closed on some golf clubs, and another near the front turn signal.

To the best of my knowledge and that of the sellers' there in no other rust.

Including the miles on the rebuild, it has approx. 125-127K.

Int. is perfect except for the clock which is inop.

The battery tray was rusted and replaced by the previous owner.

What would be a good offer assuming this car is as described?

Thanks,

Carson
Old 11-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Rouser
Instructor

$5.9K - $6.3K, since I have a hard time believing that a VA car has no other rust besides a rusted battery tray; where did the acid go that chewed up the tray in the first place?

Cracked cylinders (two at that)? That's a new one on me; I've heard of dropped seats & snapped valves taking out pistons, which in-turn have "damaged" cylinders, but cracked? If the rebuild meets with your expectations, OK than.

Better give this "no other rust" a serious going-over before handing over a few thousand Dead Presidents. The car's ultimate value depends entirely on you. Good Luck!
Old 11-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Carson Kit
Advanced

Rouser-

Once again thank you for your input.

After closely going over every detail in the pictures, it seems that this car is not nearly as perfect as it was purported to be.

Thanks again,

Carson
Old 11-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Rouser
Instructor

Never buy a 914 based on pictures alone ... I've heard of too many people getting burned on sales that way.

GO SEE this car in person (with a small toolbox under your arm; makes 'em nervous), tear through the car like a ferret (lifting carpet, removing spares, looking here and there), and be suspicious of a car already warmed up for your test drive ("Cold start problem? Idle sounds awfully high. You sure it'll settle down?").

Document everything so you can justify your deductions on the asking price.

Quick Reply: Another 914 - '75 2.0