Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Casting the net... loooking for a decent 914

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:39 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will happen. These cars come up for sale on a regular basis. Just have to wade through the majority of them which need a bunch of work to find one where the major issues have already been addressed. You should still budget a few thousand to correct stuff as inevitably, there will be things that still need fixing and/or bringing it to where you want it to be.

Considering the price point of most of these cars, many owners have not made the necessary investments. I was pretty lucky I think as the PO of Orangina was heavy into 914's. He had mine and another which he was setting up for AutoX with a nice six, flared fenders, no windscreen... He had spent a bundle on my car going through it pretty comprehensively. Brakes, suspension, seals, factory fuel injection, all re-done. The underneath was VERY clean. The paint had been color sanded and had the perfect patina I wanted. The list of items replaced was very long.

I did pay a substantial premium, but I was thinking I still paid less on the dollar than he had invested and I thought that was a good way to go.

Even so, I still found that I needed to replace the first gear synchro and while we were in there, freshened up some other bits.

I had the dash redone by JustDashes and had the seats rebuilt with new foam and new covers.

I think I am done for the moment. I have a bunch into the car now, but I am extremely happy and I am enjoying the car with my wife and son. We have our first AutoX in the car late June and I am excited to get it onto the course.

Anyway, hang in there and I expect you will become another happy member of the 914 World in short order!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

^^^ Yeah, that's what I am looking for... something where previous owner has either meticulously maintained it, or did most of the rebuild, in a manner to my liking. As you say, I will almost certainly need to sink in some add'l $$ to get it to my standards. Ideally, I'm looking for one of those "my loss is your gain" scenarios.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:44 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

I think I found my 914. Will keep you posted.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:03 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

good luck...
Old 05-23-2014, 03:05 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

That did not take long!

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

The car is being looked at for me by a buddy this Tuesday... It's a bout a six hour drive from here.

Keeping fingers crossed... looks good so far.....

Last edited by Cuda911; 05-28-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:02 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

OK, guys, some armchair quarterbacking requested.

This weekend, I read EVERY thread on the 914 forum here, all 51 pages of them. I have my 914 requirements narrowed down to the following: 1973 2.0, or 1974 2.0 with appearance group. Any color except black.

With that said, it narrows down even more the slim field of cars on the market.

So, I have a car I am considering... 1973 2.0 .... it meets the criteria, but is in worse shape than I had hoped for. I didn't really want a "project" car, but maybe that's the best way to go to end up with what I want.

A friend (fellow Rennie CP.... THANKS CP!!!!!!!) looked at the car for me today (it's about a six hour drive from me). The seller arranged to leave the keys for CP. Alas, seller also neglected to tell CP that he took the battery out recently and forgot to re-install it.

So, I am working with limited information so far. Seller says car is in good running condition. I'll get that verified. So, ASSUMING the car runs, what do you think of it based on these photos?

You will note items like that goofy antenna, crappy side-view mirror, wing, etc. Those are minor fixes. Also, that doesn't look like a 1973 front bumper to me.

What would you think is a fair price for this car, based on the pix?

Per seller:

"Battery tray is not great but suspension member is solid as is body under the battery tray. Surface rust on edge of trunk lid and driver a pillar."

"I bought the car from an older couple who spent a ton of money on new clutch, tires and other stuff then just let it sit. I got it, got it running and here we are. Odometer says 23,xxx but it's a 5 digit odometer. Engine runs strong, no idea on mileage. Has stock fuel injection."

"New clutch, ignition coil, tires, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator"
Attached Images           

Last edited by Cuda911; 05-28-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Plot thickens. Looks like rust isn't too bad.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

That's my thought. One guys is telling me to run... but the stuff I'm seeing looks fixable.

More opinions, please.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:18 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Don't fall victim to the Red Mist!
This is not the car you were looking for. You don't want to be the guy that someone else pays cents on the dollar to when it is time to move on.
Looks like you will wind up spending a bunch more than you had budgeted to get this into nice shape.

I strongly suggest that you move on in your search for what you set out to find. A car that is in nice driver condition and that you can drive while you attend to stuff that you want to do. Not stuff that you have to do.

The cost to fix the rust and re-paint and deal with all the mechanical needs as well will put you upside down very quickly!

Breathe deep and move on!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Poop, that's two thumbs down now. To push a bit... what if I could pick this one up for $3,000 to 3,500?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

That is likely the smallest check you will write in getting this to where you are happy!

And when the cosmetics are in this condition, just imagine what the mechanicals are like!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:20 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Wow, odd...I thought I posted a comment yesterday but it's not there...ok, so:
-there is more rust than you see...there always is. Car needs to be up on a lift, check drivers rocker, jack point, he'll ho,e area, etc. lots of poking around needed.
- has 75/76 bumpers....odd...nobody ever changes to this bumpers so something is amiss
-seat cover on drivers seat says it needs replacing.
- before I would do ANYTHING I would make sure it runs, and runs well, and check every square inch while on a lift, for rust. It's there...it's always there....

Problem here is, you will spend the better part of a year and $10k fixing rust, fixing/replacing parts, getting it painted, etc. do you really want to get into that??

Believe the comments on 914world...they/we have all been there done that!!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

OK, I will listen to the sages and pass on this car. Considering that I have seen parts cars/rollers sell for the 2K range, I'm surprised a running (apparently) 73 2.0 isn't worth 4K even with the rust.

Well, the hunt continues then. Who here wants to join the hunt to spend my $$?

Criteria: '73 2.0 , or '74 2.0 with appearance group, bright color (no black, gray, silver), drivable condition, located in So CA or near where a Rennie can check it out for me.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2014, 10:34 AM
willbj3
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I think your search demands are a little to specific for your price range. 73-74 2.0 are the cars most in demand ( and of course 914-6) appreciated greatly in the last year .. So if you want a running and driving car with not a lot of rust, paint, or interior issues . You need to double your purchase amount. And expand your search area. I'm in So Cal and nothing is available. I'm in restoring a 73 2.0 with appearance package silver that I found in Tucson. If you have the time and resources and knowledge of a good autobody shop minor rust issues can be easily repaired, interior pieces (seats,center console,etc..)can be bought new. I agree the red car with the 74 bumper seems odd, and a new or refurbished chrome 73 bumper will cost you a mint. But at least it has the rare fuchs 2.0 wneels.

Quick Reply: Casting the net... loooking for a decent 914