Sponsored by:

Stock Color v. Color Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:29 AM
ehokana
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Stock Color v. Color Change

Just curious what you guys thought about this idea. I am deciding on a color for my '73 2.0 since it is going in for paint in a month or so and was wondering whether doing a color change would have any adverse effects on resale down the road. The car was an original silver metallic, though I don't much care for the color- it seems a little plain to me.

The car is being stripped completely, so any paint work will be done properly and as though it were from the factory. Also, I don't plan on selling the car any time soon (I made that mistake once before, and this one is just for my enjoyment).
Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Go with a colour available from the factory, but go with one that appeals to you. Any risk of value loss will be mitigated by the quality paint job. You only live once. The emotion bonus is worth more than the money.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nzskater
Go with a colour available from the factory, but go with one that appeals to you. Any risk of value loss will be mitigated by the quality paint job. You only live once. The emotion bonus is worth more than the money.
^ This
Old 05-05-2014, 11:21 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

If you're not talking some rare 914-6 etc go for something you really like...

I did my '73 in the original bahia red but kind of wish I'd done Gulf blue...

Moved the '73 outside for a few minutes today to clean out the shop- sure would be easier if it ran!!
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2014, 03:44 AM
ehokana
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys! I am going between a few different colors right now so I need to start narrowing it down. I'd much rather have a slightly devalued car that I completely enjoy than one that is true to stock and not what I really want

skl- that is a sweet 914! My first teener (which was my first car) was bahia red and I sure miss that car.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:04 PM
willbj3
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not my car, but this is the original silver for 73 2.0 ..I have the same car I'm restoring from bare metal .. I thought about changing the color.. But my plan is to stay original like the car came from the factory.. And buy another 914 and paint it blue factory color from that year.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2014, 10:46 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

I did a color change on mr Roasdster from Red to 1986 Porsche Midnight Blue non metallic. I stuck with a Porsche color so as not to get too far out there. People told me it would cost me money but do we really need another red 356? I'm glad I went my way instead of the crowds way.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:49 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

My '71 Six came metallic gold from the factory.....in my opinion, the worst color ever used by Porsche. I am doing a complete rotisserie restoration/rebuild with some minor improvements. One of those improvements is a color change despite the fact others have alleged gold is "super rare" color on a Six, let alone a '71 Six. The problem is I would never warm to that color so I am torn between a couple of other '71 factory colors for the car. The good news is the car was completely media blasted so not a flake of gold remains. Though the car is arguably rare and I realize it may be valued higher in the gold paint, I am going to paint it something else. I have not really decided what color yet, but I will be deciding soon. I say it is your car, paint it the color you like so long as it is done correctly.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:02 PM
jrrhdmust
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

My car was gulf blue, that someone Earl Shiebed Bajia Red over. So I am not fond of either color. I really wanted to go orange, but it was easier for me to go Black.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:29 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

A color change will absolutely RUIN the value of your 914. With 914 prices going through the roof these days, why kill value and destroy history on a whim? Even if you keep your 914 for life, and many of the generations after you love the car, finally there will be one of them who will inherit and want to sell. The potential buyer comes by and says: "Darn, I would have paid you 50,000 dollars more for that car if it wasn't color changed!" and then your great great great grandson questions your decision!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:31 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

If it was a Carrera Speedster, I might agree with the above, but we are talking about 914's here. The MOST important thing is RUST, and unless someone is buying the car to only compete in a PCA concours and doesn't plan on driving it (you'd have to be somewhat crazy to do that BTW) and you don't like the colour, then paint it any colour you want or like. Just start with a solid tub and get a GOOD paint job!!

Then DRIVE it and enjoy it!!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:17 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm always a fan of keeping a vehicle the colour it was born with. I see it as part of the car's identity. I also think the silver will look a lot less boring when it's a fresh quality paint job.
That said, I do own a colour change car, and though I like it, I sometimes wish it were the original colour.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:11 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I'm always a fan of keeping a vehicle the colour it was born with. I see it as part of the car's identity. I also think the silver will look a lot less boring when it's a fresh quality paint job.
That said, I do own a colour change car, and though I like it, I sometimes wish it were the original colour.
I own a color change car too (I did not do it!!!) a 61 356 roadster, that if it was the original color would be worth $40,000 more dollars. THAT is about what it would cost to change the color back now. Don't put 914s down, they are every bit worthy of the correct color as a 356 and 911 (maybe not a 924, LOL!)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

My opinion.... I have a silver 914.... was planning on a color change too. But, the more I think about it, the more I want to keep it original.

A bare metal frame-off repaint.... If you go for a very high quality job and document it all with pix... probably not a significant affect on resale value currently. However, 914s have increased in value recently, and if you want top dollar value at some future time, I would recommend staying with the OEM color for your car.

Very hard to find these cars that haven't been significantly modified from original. Getting harder all the time.

SKl convinced me to stay with the original silver, and I am VERY happy with the car! I added the PORSCHE stickers to mod it a bit, since these were a dealer-applied option available at the time these cars were new.

My 914:
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Stock Color v. Color Change