Sponsored by:

New (or *really* old) to the site...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Chad Mitchell
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The weld on the tube in the center tunnel might have broken. http://www.944-parts.com/porsche-service.php?technum=7
Damn, you'd think having owned a couple of Bugs over the years that I'd remember that one. I think at the time I didn't consider the tube because it worked when I pulled it back out, but I suppose there could be a piece of firewall still welded to the tube holding it in place until it turns/flexes just right.

Oh, one more thing she'll need to be roadworthy - new tires! Those 27-year-old T/A Euros are harder than granite and slick as snot on a doorknob. She is an appearance-group 1.7 with the Mahle alloys. Any suggestions on tire sizes? The T/As are 215s IIRC, but they rub a bit at full lock. Probably because they're a bit too wide for the rims and so bulge out pretty dramatically - you can see the right front in the pic above - there's a good 1" of shoulder bulge past the rim. Of course, that means no curb rash! :rofl:

I love the Mahles and will keep them on the car, barring a future 5-lug conversion. It'd be nice, though, to get a spacer in there and fill out the wheel wells a bit better.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I have a pair of stock heat exchangers I'll send you if you pick up shipping. I'll double check that they are good.
I am sorry for all the things I say about you behind your back Matt. You are a hell of a guy!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome back Chad, another veteran from the email list days here.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Chad Mitchell
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heh, looks like you've owned everything but a 914. Time to start looking! Wish I could get my wife to drive an Allroad, but she's an Amurrican truck girl from Georgia. I had to do some serious talking just to get her into a crossover (2011 Acadia) after her old Suburban finally died a horrible, lingering death. I did buy her a '72 VW convertible several years back - she'd always wanted one. Which reminds me, gotta work on the brakes on that thing today. :P
Old 06-30-2012, 05:04 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Just saw a new Allroad (based off the A4 avant this time instead of the A6) at the Audi dealer a couple weeks ago. Looked good but I'd rather have just a regular avant so it wasn't sitting up so high.
Should be out working on the 914 but it's too damned hot and humid today...

Quick Reply: New (or *really* old) to the site...