914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, Crap...Glad I Didn't Sell It!

Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Darn, I really don't like not being able to delete...make sure to see post #30.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 06-01-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

1. Heads shipped off to EMS in Inglewood, CA.
2. Bowlsby comes through, and supplies engine tin to body seals, and a new alternator wire harness, which I really needed! THANKS, JEFF!
3. Ordered a Bosch rebuilt alternator - one of those "while I'm in there" things.
4. Ordered an engine gasket kit, and a fan pulley/crank seal.
5. Sheet metal/engine tin off to the powder coat place tomorrow.

Progress. Pictures as things begin to happen!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Nice. It's going to be great when you're done.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Oh, and you can make fun of me, but I've had great luck with Pep Boys or Advanced starters and alternators. Cheap and last as well as the Bosch stuff.

Thanks for posting Pete, if you keep improving this thing it will soon be one of those $20K+ 914's that we see for sale from time to time. You are going to set the 1.8 market my friend.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Thanks for posting Pete, if you keep improving this thing it will soon be one of those $20K+ 914's that we see for sale from time to time. You are going to set the 1.8 market my friend.
That definitely was not the intent, but in a weird sort of way I'm glad that this happened. After the car is running again I'll have more confidence in it, and probably won't think twice about getting the car out on the freeway, or even taking it up to Tehachapi, in the nearby mountains.

Good news from the machine shop, no cracks in the heads! The intake valve on the broken spring was bent, so head removal is justified.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah for no cracks!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Yeah for no cracks!
As the years passed I had forgotten that 914 heads can be fragile. Apparently my heads are from a 1.7, which are possibly the strongest of the bunch. The machine shop called, they had intake valves and springs, but had to go on a hunt to find a set of exhaust valves. It seems that even hard parts are getting a bit hard to find.

The estimate for head repair is about $550, including resurface, all new guides, 5 exhaust studs, and the repair of one intake runner stud. I think that's a very fair price, and will probably have the heads back in two weeks. I'm in no hurry; our forecast for this Sunday is 104F, which means 110F in the garage. I think that I'll look for something else to do on Father's Day!

My advice for 914 owners, if you have a future repair scheduled, even a couple years out, start collecting your parts now. I've already stockpiled a few things, and will slowly add to them as time passes.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Well, one head IS cracked. The machine shop bead blasted the heads, and put them aside. Later, when they picked one up, a crack between valve seats was clearly visible. I guess the bead blasting made the cracks invisible, and then moisture wicked up into the cracks. Good news? They have a replacement set of heads that they will sell to me for next to nothing. Dodged that bullet - whew!

Currently looking for alternator cover and rubber boot to connect the cover to the fan shroud.

EDIT: Found a cover & rubber connector.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 06-19-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Just a thought. Air flow flappers in fan shroud not in good condition. They are there to help with engine warm-up, but I live in a very mild winter climate with hot summers. Eliminate them, while the engine is apart, to avoid unintentional overheating, or try to fix the system? I'm leaning, and so is my machine shop, toward leaving out the flaps and thermostat, and just being gentle for the first few minutes of driving.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

I've left them off my engines for a long time and just take it easy. Some folks will tell you that it is a surefire way to blow motors up, but IMHO their wrong.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Leaving out the flaps? If they are permanently open what's the difference? Once I get the 2.0 done it will spend most of its time in AZ so warming up won't be an issue. I figured I'd just leave them in, in the open position and adjust the wire to the "thermostat" accordingly. That whole system kind of looks like a bad joke anyway...
Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
Leaving out the flaps? If they are permanently open what's the difference? Once I get the 2.0 done it will spend most of its time in AZ so warming up won't be an issue. I figured I'd just leave them in, in the open position and adjust the wire to the "thermostat" accordingly. That whole system kind of looks like a bad joke anyway...
That's how I feel, I think it was VW trying to design something without really thinking through long-term ramifications. And it's a guaranteed way to make the engine overheat if somehow those flaps stick - too many cracked heads out there already! I will add what's left of the system to my 914 parts bin.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:02 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

Hmmmm, never thought of that but I can easily take them out as the engine is still on the stand. I'm getting the car back Sunday though!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

Only thing I thought of was doesn't the one on the oil cooler side direct air over the cooler? Wouldn't that help with oil temps???
Old 06-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I don't think so, air flow in there should be sufficient to keep everything nice and cool. The below '73 2.0 was my car, and I eliminated the flaps from that engine. It lived in SoCal for about five years, then moved to New York, where it's still plugging along.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, Crap...Glad I Didn't Sell It!