Sponsored by:

914 being altered

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
toovo1985
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 914 being altered

A friend, which is also my mechanic is altering an old 914. He is changing it and giving it a new engine. It's going to be a big challenge and I just can't wait to see and drive the final result.

Has anyone here done the same kind of changes that my friend is making?

I'm posting the process with text and photos here.

I'll keep you updated on the latest changes made
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2.4S engine in one of my 914s and it was an awesome up grade. I can't believe you did a "power slide" or a 360 in a 914 1.7, but keep us posted on the project.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 PM
toovo1985
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toovo1985
A friend, which is also my mechanic is altering an old 914. He is changing it and giving it a new engine. It's going to be a big challenge and I just can't wait to see and drive the final result.

Has anyone here done the same kind of changes that my friend is making?

I'm posting the process with text and photos here.

I'll keep you updated on the latest changes made
So my friend and I have been working on the engine and as I promised here I have registered in photos the main upgrades.

At the moment we have found and are negotiating as we speak the Webber 45mm carburators.

I'll keep you posted and you can check the new photos here
http://www.autoviva.com/member.php?i...t&post_id=1550

Hope to comeback here soon, maybe with a video of the first roar of the new engine.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:36 AM
--JR--
Advanced

I guess you could say I have a similar project.

I'm pulling out the 2.4L engine that has a pair of 45 webbers on it now and putting in a 993 3.6. I'm in the process of collecting all the goodies for the job now before I pull the "old motor". I think I only put 2500 miles on it since I built it.

Should go pretty good once that's in there.

Also working on electronic traction control and ABS for the 914 too. If that goes well, I'll be converting the 993 motor to drive by wire.

-JR-
Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Traction control is doable without wheel speed sensors (or are you doing those?). How are you doing the abs? Adding the control module and wheel speed sensors? What are you taking them from?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:12 PM
--JR--
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Traction control is doable without wheel speed sensors (or are you doing those?). How are you doing the abs? Adding the control module and wheel speed sensors? What are you taking them from?
Traction control without wheel sensors I have found only suitable for race applications. Because those systems only watch the engine RPM (that I've seen) and when the RPM accelerates faster than the vehicle is capable of then it activates whatever method it has of reducing power. In a street application you may not always be using 100% throttle and therefore the engine could still accelerate at a speed that the vehicle is capable of. Make sense? Maybe if you were to add a gyro to the control module it would work better for street. Hmm… I might look into that as well.

For the ABS, I'm looking for a ABS pump assembly from a vehicle that also has traction control. The Subaru's and other Japanese makes seem to be reasonable. Starting with the 996 Porsche offered traction control, but the Porsche pumps are a lot more money to buy in the used sector. Then I will retrofit sensors to the car. The front should be fairly easy since the 911 had ABS. The rears should be fairly easy too. I've seen available ABS rings in a range of sizes. It should be possible to mount a ring to the CV joints at the transaxle.

As for control, I plan to use the Propeller chip by Parallax and write my own traction control / ABS program. This chip offers 8 processors on one chip, so I could use one processor to monitor each wheel separately, another to manage the ABS pump / ignition retard, another as a "watch dog" and perhaps in the future use another one to run the drive by wire system.

For the do-it yourselfer mechanic, it's probably easier to get a ABS pump from say a 997 which has the brains all built in. I can't say for 100% sure if it will work by it's self as the 997 does have two way communications between the ABS and engine computers.

Quick Reply: 914 being altered