should I buy it ? 1974 914

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 AM
ziptie
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I buy it ? 1974 914

Greetings Rennlist!

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1974 914 relatively inexpensively and wanted to get some feedback from those with more experience with these cars than I. A good friend of mine has a buddy that's looking to get rid of the car, he bought a Harley with the condition imposed by his wife that the 914 has to go and me, being the old German car/VW enthusiast has the chance to buy my first Porsche.

Brief rundown before I get to pictures.

The Good:
Floorpans, rockers,jackposts and longitudals replaced within the last 2 years.
little or no battery box rust.
5 lug conversion with 1970 911 bits up front, including brake calipers
Upgraded master cylinder (I don't recall the mm)
Newish(2 year old) Boge shocks
Newish torsion bars
A-arm points are rust free.
All gauges work, including the triple gauge center console, clock, oil temperature and voltmeter.
Nicely reupholstered seats and relatively recent carpets.
Rebuilt side shift trans(I do not have specifics on the rebuild) other than short-ratio gears (A,F,M,S,X)
replaced shift linkage
new SS heat exchangers and Monza exhaust.

The Questionable:
Fiberglass GT fender flairs
Cheesy carbon fiber dash and center console trim
Reproduction Fuchs wheels(very nice looking though) 7&9 inch.
Non-original 1800 engine with a single carb.

The Bad and Ugly:

Needs roof/window and front trunk seals.
Some rust on the inside bottom of the front trunk and the underside of the leading edge of the front trunk.
Paint is not original or the original color, oxidized and could use a respray
Surface rust at the top of the windshield and by the wiper arms(pic below)

My biggest concern is the single carb'd engine, I've seen numerous dual carb setups in 914s but never a single.

I'm not looking to turn this into a concours car, but a fun, good looking weekend toy and perhaps the occasional auto-xer.
I have no problem doing the vast majority of the work myself, paint being the major exception, I just don't want to buy a disaster.

I fully intend to have a PPI done on the car but would greatly appreciate any insight or thoughs about this particular 914.

Chris~

Last edited by ziptie; 07-15-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 AM
ziptie
3rd Gear

pics work now

Last edited by ziptie; 07-15-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

I can't get your pictures to work, but as an owner of a stock '74 914 I'll chime in.
First, you don't mention a price so I'll assume cheap, like 1-4k? I would be very concerned with the 1.8 single carb as well, not that you couldn't get it to run well but it has to be the worst power of any engine set up. Carbs can be very finicky so I would accept the fact you will be messing with them a lot. Single carb usually means someone took the least expensive route a while back fixing/removing the fuel injection. Rust is everything in these cars, if you're satisfied it's taken care of I guess that's good, but I question why there is still paint and rust issues after someone took the time to replace the floor/longs. The glass flares usually don't hold up well, tend to show cracks in the paint. Fake fuchs are heavy and too wide for that engine power in my opinion. Dash, trim and interior stuff can be replaced but it is expensive too. I would personally hold out for a better car as my gut says this will be a money pit.

Oh - welcome to rennlist!

Last edited by JonH; 07-15-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
ziptie
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply! I've reposted the pictures and they work now. When I say cheap, I mean sub $3k. The single carb motor was installed by the PO, not the guy who's selling the car. I have yet to drive it, but will within the next few days, so I can't comment on how down on power it is. Hopefully the pictures will show the condition better than my description.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 PM
racer
Drifting

Its still a heck of a project.. Lots of "surface rust" under that bad paint. Then you have the motor (I'd replace it completely with a new 2056 or larger 4-cyl. (but there's another $4-8K). Not sure how eaily things like weatherstriping and trim can be found/repro'd these days.

In my mind, I see lots of rust on that front cowl (area between windshield and trunk lid) and the A pillar. Even at $1500-2K its still a money pit imho.

As for AX, the flares and 5-bolt suspension put you in a MODIFIED class.. so it won't be competitive at all without serious $$

I'd look for a more stock one.. and one with a NICER body to begin with. Engine size (1.7-2.0) is less inportant imho. A nice stock 1.7 can be just as quick as a later (75-76) 2.0l car.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Now I see the pics, seems like a lot of rust. I personally would walk. If you can save and spend 6-7k you can get a LOT nicer car.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 532 Posts

After looking at the pix, that is a parts car IMHO, and I'm not sure how many decent parts you would get...no offense, but assuming the engine is a stock FI with stock cam, it would be a DOG with a single carb set up. Even with dual carbs you need a different cam to make it run worth a damn...the aftermarket wheels look like the best thing on it... sorry...
Gotta agree with JonH.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:18 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is a rough car. not the best start for your first Porsche experience. keep looking
Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not adding anything new here, but I would pass. Check out the one in Mass that Matt looked at. The engine is the least of my concern as they can be replaced, but if there is some rust there is a lot more in other areas. It is a parts car most likely.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:54 AM
jjbunn
Racer

I can see the attraction - it's a good looking 914. (And the best colour ) But the visible rust is very worrying. The paint job looks suspect. Fender/cowl seals have been sprayed over. Other seals in the photos look past their sell by date. And then there is that single carb ...

It seems to be a buyer's market for 914s at the moment - you can do much better than this, unless it's very cheap and you relish a project.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 AM
cali4sun
Burning Brakes

As mentioned you should continue looking rust is not your friend and your inexpensive car could end up being very expensive.....

'89 928s4 GP White/Black
'76 912E Silver/Black sunroof
Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Olav A.
Racer

No!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

I can see a mouse in the engine compartment next to the intake manifold. Methinks there's a whole family nested in there.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to know if he passed on the car or not.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.

If you are looking for something fun to drive . . . regularly - PASS

If you have nothing better to do with your money or time for the next couple years, have a big fat savings account, and willing to take on a ground up resto and can't live without it - go all in.

Quick Reply: should I buy it ? 1974 914