Sponsored by:

Endurance racing in 914?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:04 PM
PJAlso
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Endurance racing in 914?

Hi to all. I curently drive 964 C4 and because of that and love for track sports I'd like to build endurance car for our national endurance class. I'd very much like to know is the 914 better than good in track use. Our class rules say that engine max hp 177 and only 4 cyl engines allowed. So that is the reason i look for 914 it is mid engined and in my mind it promises something in hanling but now i need some confirmation for that. Some info about weight is also valuable. I live in Finland Europe and there is some old 914 here in sale needing TLC on one or two beyond that but maybe those can be made racers. Any info recading 914 and racing is
Old 11-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have to replace EVERYTHING in the car as the newest 914 is 31 years old and for everything to hold up it would have to be PERFECT!!!! As for building a 177HP engine you need to PM Matt Romanowski who has a 4 banger putting out 180 and it is a STRONG runner!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Have a look at http://www.mittelmotor.de/english/startenglish.htm

they recently built a racer for endurance racing
Old 11-03-2007, 08:10 PM
PJAlso
6th Gear

Default using little elbow grease is OK

Been racing with 944 and its bit hevy and low in power. but we striped it in parts and build it back together anyway. big part of fun would be just in that the car is old porsche beating BMW:s 15-20 years younger. with 944 we dont have the power of BMW put we have much more torq and in rain we have advatage because of good handling. Max power is 177 hp but it needs to be taken with stock in/out piping you can play with heads and cam but are restricted to use stock garbs/injection and exhaust manifold.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Both sound like a great idea - but I'd probably lean toward the 944... I think the 16 valve engine does about 175 HP and parts for the 944 are going to be more available.

But a 914 would weigh less - and if you could get it up to 177 HP, it would be a beast! And, perhaps, a little more fun to drive.

I think properly set up, like with external oil coolers and perhaps a transmission cooler, they would be up for the task.

The 914 also has the advantage of being simpler - no power brakes, no power steering, no hydraulic clutch - which I think would be desirable traits for an endurance racer. I also think it would be gentler on brakes and tires.

Good luck with whichever you choose, and keep us updated!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Matt Romanowski just got back from Vegas and I am sure he will jump in with how to build a 175hp motor for you. It will move that is for sure.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

If you have to use stock injections and exhaust, there is no way a 4 banger will do it. You may be able to do it with a 6.

What's the length of the enduro?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:38 AM
PJAlso
6th Gear

Default 4 banger

rules deny 6 bangers. turbo is allright if it is oem version aftermarket is big no no.
177 hp is max it not required. fuel tank is 26 LTR and allowed fueling is in 20 LTR jerryes. every fuel stop takes 3min. you can not do anything but clean windshield and check tyre pressure during fuel pitstop after that 3min time you are alowed to to service. race duration is normaly 6 hours and one 24 Hours race in season.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A stock injected motor will only make something like ~120 hp. It would probably not be competitive.

They did make some 1.7 liter cars in Europe with carbs, but they were pretty small carbs. I don't know exactly what size, but either way, with stock carbs and exhuast you would be limited to maybe 140 if you did everything just right.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 AM
PJAlso
6th Gear

Default more details

because english is not my best language i'd like to chek my terminology. Motor parts in order of intake to exhaust are garbs or throtle body then intake manifold then heads top of cylinder block then exhaust manifold and last exhaust pipe. if this is right then intake/exhaust manifolds and possible turbo are parts what need to be orginal. but garbs can be exchanged. in 914 the turbo is not issue. is the 2 LTR engine 6 cylinder and how far is the engine from type 4 vw engine. because i remeber that there was fuel injected 2 LTR version in some of those. it is in rules to change whole engine to different make as long its intake and exhaust manifols are kept. and volume is below 2,3 or 2,5 Ltr that volume i need to check.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Your terms are correct. The problem would be using the stock manifolds. There was a 2.0 liter four cylinder and a 2.0 liter six cylinder. The problem with the four cylinder is the intake and exhuast manifolds. They would be too restrictive and not easily accept carbs.

Quick Reply: Endurance racing in 914?