Sponsored by:

What would you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Brother
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you use?

If you were going to strip and repaint your teener what products and prep would you use?

(ie. wire wheel then POR 15 inside and PPG paint and clear outside.)
Old 01-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

For the body or pan?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Brother
Intermediate

both
Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Depends on the shop. Their are a few people that come here that can probably (read definatly) speak to it better than I, but I doubt they will speak up.

In my opinion and experience, any of the good systems is comparible. Mostly, you want to use whatever your paint / body guy is experienced with. That is far more important than what brand is ulitametly used.

Saying that, my car has PPG on the bottom becuase it was what I had and was easy to use. The top is Sherwin Wiliams base / clear.

As fas as the base / clear and single stage arguments - your a fool to use single stage. You can't blend it as easy, can't repair as easy, harder to polish, etc.

What else do you want to know. Specific questions are much easier than the generic "what to do?"

If you have to ask......
Old 01-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Brother
Intermediate

Is the single stage cheaper than using a base/clear? I would expect the clear to last longer.

Do you recommend just sanding/grinding off the old paint or a real acid dip?

Can you reuse any of the seals or do you have to scrap all the rubber you pull off?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy new rubber if your already taking it out. I know that is what Matt did with his car and that is what I would if this was my project. - Jay
Old 01-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Single stage is cheaper but not as dureable, plus the things I said above.

I think sanding old paint off is the best way. You have to be careful because you can overheat the metal and warp it, but it's probably the best way as opposed to media blasting, chemical strippers, etc. Acid dipping is good, but it leaves you the problem of getting paint back on all the "inside" areas where you don't really have access to.

As for seals and the such, you have to evaluate what you have. If all your seals are in good shape and you can get them off the car in once peice, then reuse them. If they are torn, falling apart, or otherwise crappy, get new ones. You have to evaluate everthing you take off the car.

Everything also depends on what kind of job you are going for. If you want a full CW restroation, then replace / refinish things. If you want a great driver, then clean up what you ahve if it's pretty good.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:49 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I've used a wire cup on a small 4.5" grinder with good results. Couple things to note though. The little wires will come flying off and will stick in your legs, arms etc. Don't give them a chance to take out an eye. Full face protection is mandatory! The good thing about the wire cup is it will leave a nice finish on the metal. No big scratches like a sanding disc can do. It's a little slow, but you'll do less damage to your car this way.

I'm no paint expert, but I have painted my car with enamel. PITA. Go base/clear. Listen to Matt.

A friend of mine restores old cars and swears by POR-15. Weld in new metal where you can with butt joints, not overlapping ones and in cases where you can't do that so well then bring out the POR-15 to fill small rust perforated areas. Remember that POR-15 needs a top coat of paint for UV protection.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: What would you use?