Sponsored by:

anyone done a vtec swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 03:17 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Post anyone done a vtec swap?

I have been contemplating dropping a vtec motor into a mini cooper, but w/ the release of the new one the old ones have almost doubled in price. I was wondering if anyone has done this swap into a 914? If so could I get some info?
Old 01-14-2003, 12:20 PM
brian_l_cummings
AutoX

Location: originally Phoenix, Arizona; but currently Osaka, Japan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda engines rotate in reverse to most other engines...just like corvairs....so you can't mate it to the tranny easily...if you use the whole engine/tranny/fwd package, you can make a mid engine a la the fiero or mr-2...but it doesn't sound easy...i am NO expert, this is just what i know...
Old 01-14-2003, 12:25 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

We are swapping one into a 67 VW bug right now, Their is a company that makes axles and tranny plates to work out w/ the situation. And the 914 is basically the same platform isn't it? The adapter plate turns the motor around backwards too.

Got in pics of your Rover? My initial plan was to pick up an older Cooper and do the swap in that, but the cars have been going up in price alot lately!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:58 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RICE!

Joking aside,

If you can get your hands on a new RSX K20 engine, it should go ok. The K20 rotates like regular engines, so maby not so difficult.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:40 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by jabbadeznuts:
<strong>RICE!

Joking aside,

If you can get your hands on a new RSX K20 engine, it should go ok. The K20 rotates like regular engines, so maby not so difficult.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I can pretty much get anything I need. I've even been thinking about maybe an S2K motor. The thing is I have pretty good experience and success w/ the b-series. I don't know, i need a new project so I just may see if I can get this to work
Old 01-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why worry about the rotation of the engine...?

just pull the diff out of the gearbox and put it back in from the other side !!!

Quick Reply: anyone done a vtec swap?