Sponsored by:

oil leak question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 01:32 AM
steven storch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil leak question

Pushrod tube seals are leaking (just barely holding in place) I've read somewhere that they can be changed without dropping the engine. Anyone do this? Is there a procedure anywhere, things to watch out for? Or is it much simpler than I'm imagining it?

Also, how to readjust/align the gearshift lever. Just replaced all the bushings (turned out the coupler bushing was missing!) and she shifts fine now but its harder than it should be to get into 1st and reverse. The procedure in Haynes and on Pelican's website doesn't seem too clear. Anyone experienced at this?

thanks for any suggestions
steven storch
1975 2.0 4cyl
Old 06-27-2002, 11:32 AM
Joe R
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of variables: 2.0L sort of tough to pull intake push rod tubes. I have been told that it also varies between cars. I put new O-rings in cleaned up the bores and used "white teflon pipe joint coumpound" No leaks so far for the last 500 miles. it is so nice to not smell oil on heat exchangers.
Gear shift What year? on the side shift if you replaced ALL the bushings you shouldn't have much slop. Difficulty in gear selection could be ho you put the gear selector onto the shift rod. Sort of tough to explain but shift rod is splined and can be rotated either way along with forward and aft. What you have to do is find a spot on the rod where you have to push against the lock out plate spring. This keeps you from nicking reverse during a 1st 2nd shift. But no so hard that you don't get enough movement to select the 1st rev shift gate. Played with this back and forth one spline at a time till it is very positve. OR you need new synchros in 1st and rev. DOes it go into gear good when engine is stopped? that is how you can tell. Also check clutch adjustment.

Quick Reply: oil leak question