Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Rust - Replacing Floor Plans etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 09:43 AM
schwaja
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Removing Rust - Replacing Floor Plans etc.

Hello fellow 914 Porsche fans. I bought a beautiful black and gold '74 914 in 1992 and it is more than ready for some rust to be taken care of. I need some tips on the best way to remove the old floor pans, how to treat the new ones and the method for replacing the pans, rocker panels (inner) Door threshold etc (Plus what type of welder should be used). Also, are there some specific areas that should be explored under the surface that I might not be able to see - The battery area was kind of taken care of but all the old metal was not cut out, but rather some 1/4 plate was welded on top? Any ideas what this will cost for replacing the floor pans, door threshold, front left fender to floor pan rust spots, and rocker panel? (I am considering using restoration-design.com for the body parts).
Is it worth putting a roll cage in since I am going this far, if so how much will it cost for this. Lastly, are the fiberglass flares (from fiberworks.com) worth a darn or will they devalue the car? I love the shape of the flares with the air inlets and such. Much thanks to whomever takes the time to answer this.

- Schwaja
Old 07-02-2003, 04:50 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
treat new floors, pannels etc with por 15. that is the best rust stopper. nothing gets by por 15
Old 07-02-2003, 05:31 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

You need a MIG welder. And trust me welding in the thing sheet metal is a pain in the ***. Believe me. I do it for a living
Old 07-02-2003, 08:30 PM
Trust me
Instructor

Take a good hard look at the rust you have. It may not be worth it to you to do the repair. I had to part out my 74' due to rust. I know it's a hard pill to swallow. Ask someone who really "knows" 914's to come over and take a look. There are a lot of hidden spots.

Troy

Quick Reply: Removing Rust - Replacing Floor Plans etc.