Sponsored by:

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 09:31 AM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post What's it worth?

I'm considering a 76 914 2.0 w/ 66k miles, body and interior excellent, but has a stuck caliper(so I didn't drive it) and some oil leaks in the motor(didn't have it on a rack, so not sure where they are). Also, a few minor electrical bugs.

Are the typical leaks fixable with the motor in the car? I'm concerned that the low miles will yeild a lot of problems on seals, gaskets, rubber, and possibly the fuel system.

Can anyone tell me what I should offer the seller with the car in the condition I have described?
Old 06-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Geoff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age and lack of maintenance will cause the leaks. The rubber o rings on the pushrod tubes harden and leak, same with the oil cooler seals, valve cover gaskets. Yes, you can do this work in the car but its way easier to pull the motor. A car that age will still have tons of gunk and grime inside the engine tin. To do it right, pull the motor and then strip it down to a long block. Then change out all the seals. Clean up the tin (repaint), clean the cylinders of gunk, clean the oil cooler, etc. Then reassemble with new gaskets,fuel hoses, vacuum hoses and seals.
What is the car worth? Hmm, no pics so its a guess.
Top notch shape-$7500
Paint is orginal and prefect, interior looks showroom, no cracks in the dash,battery tray is perfect,FI works great
Excellent-$6000-7000
Some wear, paint is nice maybe a repaint, interior is nice, battery tray is in great shape,FI works great
Very Good-$5000
Some wear, paint is nice from 10 feet, interior is showing wear, small cracks in dash, FI is working
Good-$3500-4000
Paint is faded, interior is sundamaged, dash cracked
battery tray is rusty, Carbs instead of FI
What caliper is stuck? Fronts are pretty cheap to replace, rears are getting hard to find and more expensive.
What are the electrical problems?
Look is the gas tank for rust, has this car been sitting a long time without running due to a problem? or just no driven much.

Geoff

Quick Reply: What's it worth?