Sponsored by:

'72 1.7L 914 FS $3500 in SoCal.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 02:04 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '72 1.7L 914 FS $3500 in SoCal.

I bought this 914 as the basis for a project car. But from where I stand now, it's not gonna happen. Just too many projects.

Bought the car off of ebay for $3500

It was a father/son project car. Father teaches at university in northern california.

Car was last registered in 2000, but has a DMV non-op properly filed and can get stickered for $48 (I will do this in advance of a sale). No other fees are owed on the car.

***New Information*** > The car is now currently registered and insured in California. Everthing has been brought up to date. And... I've been driving it! woooo hooo..... slow.. but it corners on rails.

The car had been stored in their garage for a number of years.

I got it. It runs good. Starts up cold perfect and idles fine. I did some intake manifold and exhaust manifold gaskets on the car, and a muffler gasket.

The engine was supposedly rebuilt. I don't have reciepts. But it runs good, doesn't leak oil, and looks like it has had some paint/clean up detail work (typical of a rebuild) and rebuilt. The exhaust system has no rust and looks like it was replaced a few years ago during the rebuild.

The trans shifts fine, but the linkage is sloppy. First gear is hard to get into properly. Probably linkage adjustment. Speaking of linkage adjustment... I've played with it, and have installed several new shift linkage bushings. It's better.. but still sloppy.

The brakes were not functioning properly. I ordered some rebuild kits and rebuilt the calipers, installed a new ATE master cylinder, and flushed the brake system, and all works fine now.

Installed a new throttle pedal and throttle cable.

The car has front (through the body) and rear sway bars on it.

Headlights and all lighting work properly, hood/trunk releases work properly.

The front trunk, rear trunk, side beams have zero rust. The drivers floor has some very light rust which can be sanded off, which was due to the fact that the master cylinder was leaking, which took off the paint. The rust is light and all surface rust. Nothing serious. I've installed a new ATE brake master cylinder, so it's now free from brake fluid :-)

It's got a new battery, the tires have good tread.

The head lights work, the tach works but jumps around at a cetain rpm, and the speedo works.

There are no visible signs of collision damage.

The car was stripped to nothing, stripped down to metal, and repainted Mexico Blue (a factory Porsche color, but not a 914 color). The paint is OK. Needs to be color sanded and polished. Everynook and cranny, no matter what you remove, is Mexico Blue. You cannot tell it was ever another color.

$3499 (sounds better than $3500)

http://www.tonygarcia.org/914

TonyG

Last edited by TonyG; 05-18-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a nice price, but I just wish it was closer. I even have a spare 2 liter to put it in. Best of luck selling it.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:36 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump...

Just replaced the brake master cylinder, got it currently registered and insured, and have been driving it around the last couple of weeks.

Come on people... someone needs a good tub for their project!

TonyG
Old 05-18-2006, 10:10 PM
tomamafone
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interested.. PM sent

Quick Reply: '72 1.7L 914 FS $3500 in SoCal.