Sponsored by:

Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 10:45 PM
dunk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Issues

Hello, This is my first post on the board. My father has been a longtime member and Porsche owner and recommened this board as a good place for expert advice.

I'm having the following issues with my friends 1973 2.0L 914. The car will not idle at all when warm. It doesn't run very well at any rpm, or when cold for that matter, however when at idle it will die immediately when below 2000 rpm. This is accompanied by the following symtoms, surging and a strong gas smell. In order to get the car to restart when hot you must depress the throttle all the way. It will then sometimes fire, however it will not pick up rpm. It will die the moment the throttle is not 100 percent.

On the off chance it manages to build some revs when hot, it does so slowly and will stop running when you take your foot off the accelerator.

I've tried the following things.
Replaced all vacuum lines.
Tested the pressure sensor and the sensor in the head near the number 3 spark plugs following procedures found on this page. Both test fine.
I've always replaced the air cleaner and checked the compression. I got the following values , 140, 125, 140, 125, which the Haynes manual my friend had for the car said were within range. I've also replaced the plugs, Taking a plug out and grouding it against the motor, it appears to have good spark. The coil and spark plug wires are new, and the distributor and rotor appear to have been replaced recently, and showl little to no wear.

I must admit I have no experience working on this motor, or this fuel injection system. Any tips or help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for you time.

Duncan
Old 08-10-2004, 12:05 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

Still wonder about the sensor by cylinder three- really can change the lean-rich mixture. An early trick was to put a variable resistor in that circuit to give the engine some more gas... How about the "points" in the bottom of the distributor for the fuel injection? Clean and check them...do a search for brad anders over at 914club.com or Pelican parts 914 forum. He knows everything about 914 fuel injection...
Old 01-15-2005, 08:26 AM
DJsRepS
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it FI or carbed? Points or Petronics? Start at the basics do valve adj and compression check.

Quick Reply: Idle Issues