912 Forum 1965-1969

66 Porsche 912 restoration project from Pakistan

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:14 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default its signal yellow

the paint has been put on and although it was i the baking oven... its going to be slow dried for a week before the lacquer is put on for additional shine....

the colour is interesting.. appears a deeper and almost orange in some light conditions . Special order colour 1967
Attached Images       
Old 07-02-2017, 12:34 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default final lacquer applied...

the final lacquer has been applied. no polishing yet. And the body shop can get started on my fiat spider..... this shall hopefully be a quick job as the parts are all there. No large number of trim its to be acquired
Attached Images     
Old 07-04-2017, 01:37 PM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default the engine bay preparation with the heat insulation material

the engine bay has been lined with the insulation. Thought I would go modern here as modern materials are much better at this sort of thing than a simple insulation board put there earlier
Attached Images    
Old 07-11-2017, 03:29 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default the fitting starts and replica Fuch wheels.. EMPI??

the fitting of the steering, doors and the lectrical works has started. The wiring is in surprisingly good condition but will be renewed where necessary. The radio slot was cut up by the previous owner.. owners to change into a DIN slot... will put in a modern one with hopefully less or no LEDs ( One hopes ) or a fold out Navigation blue tooth system... one of the few concessions to modernity. Don,t want a very high powered system though. FM radio is just fine.

Having issues trying to trace replica Fuch wheels. Have traced 15 by 6 inch ones with a VW parts supplier.. California Import parts (CIP1) ... the wheels are just about 450 Dollars but the shipment to the UAE is 900 dollars.... really exorbitant. Can anyone suggest any other suppliers.

Some pics
Attached Images   

Last edited by kamhus; 01-15-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:37 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default fuch replica wheels 15 by 6 inch

any sources for fuch replica wheels
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2017, 07:40 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get original Fuchs wheels? Should be plenty for sales in early911registry or 912bbs.org sites? The petals on replica wheels look funny. If you are patient I'm sure there are out there. Dont ruin the car with replica, IMO. I'd rather go with steel wheels with Porsche crest.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:28 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I would keep the existing wheels as they are a different look although seemingly out of favor with the style police.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:39 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default wheels and further

well.... I have to look at expense as well and wheels can always be done later.
Anyhow the dash is in and the instruments and the engine... some pics
Attached Images      
Old 07-19-2017, 11:42 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Ok ..... will keep the cookie cutters and lower the car.. weltmeister kit on the way
Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default reassembly continues

the glass is in. The rear windscreen was smashed in transport so for the time being one has been made locally and fitted. A new front windscreen and the interior being done up in leather. The car had CArrera seats form a later model. Although I have replica Cobra period rally seats I would have to pull those out of the Ford Cortina so will let these be.
Attached Images     
Old 08-10-2017, 02:03 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default getting frustrated now

the interior is all done. and prepped and the exterior was being polished when the finishing crew took two days off. Has been rolled to the detailing shop now for final polish.

The front Konis have been put in. The car has to be lowered and the alignment done.... obviously as I want it lowered the Weltmeister bump steer kit will have to be fitted.

The rear bumper plate where the number plate mounts was stuck in customs and will be released today hopefully so that will be the last piece of the puzzle to go in after painting...as you can see the mechanicals from the rear.

One of the seats came with the reclining wheel. The other has it missing. Having one forged... but will need to have an original one... does anyone have a pare one for a Carrera or SC seats.

I am told a test drive this evening. heres to hoping... its very hot and humid though.. 40 celsius with 80 percent humidity. Driving the celica at least its air conditioned.
Attached Images     
Old 08-12-2017, 09:02 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default the exterior

The exterior is almost ready. Polished. Durant mirrors put on. The front Porsche crest and the rear Porsche badge too. The rear panel is still awaited though and somehow the left rear bumper to body seal did not arrive. Will have to order that.

The cookie cutters have been shod with Continental 195/65 -15s... fresh ones and the car lowered to 25 inch at the fornt and 24.5 inch at the rear. I think its the right stance. And the Weltmeister steering kit also put on. Alignment done although it was done in my absence so am not sure whether it was done to psecs.

The interior is still to be completed although its only a days job. The steering... although painted plastic has been done up in leather. Thankfully the rim is still thin ... I have the choice of putting in a wooden Nardi that I have lying around , or a Momo Prototipo but will go with the original for the time being. Looks more restrained. Although with the Rennline perforated passenger aluminium board and the driver side board I wouldn't say the interior is standard
Attached Images       
Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 PM
jorijori
Instructor

Exterior looks good except bumper rubber strips, looks like a mismatch between front bumper, side sills and rear bumpers.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 PM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default the mismatch of bumper and side trim

Part of the mismatch is deliberate. The rear bumper has the S wide trim and the side trim is the narrow non S standard trim. I personally dont like the wider s side trim and the plate that goes with it. The front bumper wide trim is still stuck in Dubai....will take another 2-3 weeks to get here so decided to put electrical insulation tape there for the time being.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Thanks for the clarification. Car looks good. Yours is SWB, so get narrow strips and put on steel wheels, that is the stock looks. Also need to get stock seats.

Quick Reply: 66 Porsche 912 restoration project from Pakistan