Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

Tips on replacing Angle Drive (connects gearbox to speedo-cable)

Old 04-27-2016, 05:09 PM
Flat6or4
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tips on replacing Angle Drive (connects gearbox to speedo-cable)

Hello Forum,
Siince a few months owner of a original Dutch 912 next to a more recent watercooled one. Hence my username
New to this forum, so hope there are some tips on the replacement of the Angle Drive. This is the connection beween the gearbox and the speedo cable. My speedo failed last weekend and I found the Angle Drive to be defective. With the mandatory vehicle test coming up, a working speedo is a must.
I'm looking for any tips on replacing this part. I have removed the gearbox supporting bar to start. However, next step is not obvious due to stil limited space.
FYI, Angle Drive is # 91131802900.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Flat6or4; 04-27-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 04-28-2016, 03:17 PM
Flat6or4
4th Gear

asking the question is halfway the answer...
I suddenly recalled having the service manual for a similarly old 911. In this, section 16HA describes what needs to be done in detail. Removal of hex nut 7 (see picture) is the starting point. According to the text, the angle drive including the assembly can then be removed.

With the assembly removed, I should be able to replace the angle-drive. Next step is to replace the assembly again. Clearly the manual is more elaborate.
I will update this post with my experiences.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Flat6or4
4th Gear

update: once the hex nut 7 is removed, you should be able to slide out the assembly. This will need some patience though. In my case I drained the gearbox oil and removed the gearbox support bracket as well (use some other means to support the gearbox).
Once out of the gearbox, you can remove the angle drive from the assembly and replace it. While at it, you might want to consider to replace the sealing ring (12) and washer (13) as well as the O-ring (5). Removing 12 and 13 is tricky. Prying out seems to be the hard way. A simple (DIY) pulling device does the job more easily. Smoothen the surface of the assembly as well as the cylinder in the gearbox for a more easy assembly. Note the hole in the assembly which receives the pin from hex nut 7. Tightening torques can be found the workshop manual.
Looking back, the angle-drive was most likely damaged by the very heavy movement of the speedo mechanism. So, check if you speedo turns smoothly. Or better, once you notice unstable speedo readings: make sure it is not caused by heavy movement of the mechanism.
For a similar post (in Dutch) see: http://www.deklassieke912.nl/forum/s...ersnellingsbak
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips on replacing Angle Drive (connects gearbox to speedo-cable)