Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

2nd gear grinds

Old 04-01-2016, 12:21 PM
GONOJO
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear grinds

I have 67-912 coupe with original 5 speed transmission stock / When I drive and shift into second gear, the transmission grinds occasionally, not all the time, occasionally. When I shift I pause a second or so and put it in gear like I do the others. If I wanted to get that fixed so it does not grind, what are we talking about in $$$, assuming that it's just that gear. I know there are alot of others things to check and probably replace since we are opening Pandora's box. Looking for all input, good and bad and other things that I have not mentioned that need to be factored in.

Disclaimer: I don't have tools, the proper garage, time, etc to undertake this myself so I would have to source the project out.

Gordon
Old 04-01-2016, 01:06 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

How old is the gear oil? What is it?

Is there anything consistent about when it happens? What rpms do you usually shift at?

You may not need to rebuild it just yet.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:17 PM
GONOJO
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
How old is the gear oil? What is it?

Is there anything consistent about when it happens? What rpms do you usually shift at?

You may not need to rebuild it just yet.
I will check with my mechanic and get the specifics.....there is nothing consistent, though I do shift it from 1st to 2nd at the 3000 rpm and that's when occasionally will grind...I think the first course of action is replace and refill with quality transmission fluid...something I can do after he does some other repairs on it.
Gordon
Old 04-04-2016, 02:47 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Rev another 500rpm higher when you shift and see if it helps. Make sure they don't put something slippery in there. Swepco is a good choice. No LSD additves and preferably a conventional mineral based oil. There aren't that many left out there but there's still options.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:48 AM
Jbrooks
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had the same thing on my 66. Only 2nd gear.

The shift coupling finally gave up and 1/2 of the drivers side fell out. I bought a rebuild kit and replaced the old nylon with the red plastic kit like used on sway bars. 2 hours and it was fixed. There is a YouTube on how to adjust it after replacement. But use a scribe or razor knife bad scratch witness marks where it is before loosing it and put it back the way it came out.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:33 AM
Jbrooks
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How to fix
And adjust

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd gear grinds