Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

What to do? 1966 Porsche 912, sell it? keep it?

Old 07-15-2015, 02:44 PM
p912guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, where did you find the P-O-R-S-C-H-E connected trim in the silver finished aluminum? I need that piece myself.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:37 PM
michael_l
Instructor

Originally Posted by Danger
I suppose in the interest of keeping the thread up to date. Here's the latest pictures of the carpet installed, and the new goodies that have yet to be installed.
Did you see the pm? This is something that fits what I'm looking for, work appears beautifully done!

Michael
Old 07-16-2015, 01:03 AM
Danger
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by p912guy
Just curious, where did you find the P-O-R-S-C-H-E connected trim in the silver finished aluminum? I need that piece myself.
sierra madre collection. I actually had to buy it twice. I accidentally broke my first one. So I had to buy a second one.

Originally Posted by michael_l
Did you see the pm? This is something that fits what I'm looking for, work appears beautifully done!

Michael
I did see it. I'm thinking about it.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:20 AM
michael_l
Instructor

sierra madre collection. I actually had to buy it twice. I accidentally broke my first one. So I had to buy a second one.

I did see it. I'm thinking about it.
No rush, just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:23 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I think you may be more of a leased Camry guy. No worries.

The only option with these cars now is to rebuild the original engine properly.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Danger
Banned

Originally Posted by BC

I might be a "leased Camry guy"? That's stupid. But thanks for your ***-essment buddy.

Back on topic. I pulled the motor out. Time to tear it down and see what happened.

Name:  20150721_122723_zpsxjcvcrot.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  232.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-11-2020)
Old 07-21-2015, 04:58 PM
p912guy
Intermediate

Excellent Danger! Glad to see you're sticking with it, at least for now. Hope the tear down goes well and you don't find anything too catastrophic or expensive. Keep us up to date. You have a beautiful 912 and we'd love to see it back on the road soon.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Aces brother! Leased Camry's be damned!
Old 07-22-2015, 01:05 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I might be a "leased Camry guy"? That's stupid. But thanks for your ***-essment buddy.
What I said was not meant in a negative way. What you are writing above is. Why the buthurt? Hit too close to the bone?

I read your threads. The description of the emotions you felt she driving it and the concern over dents and noises is reasonable. Just means maybe this is not for you. It was of course strange your concern over the redneck in front of your house asking if you are selling when you state yourself that you knock on people's doors to ask if they are selling.

anyway. No matter - there will always be camrys.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Danger
Banned

Originally Posted by BC
What I said was not meant in a negative way. What you are writing above is. Why the buthurt? Hit too close to the bone?

I read your threads. The description of the emotions you felt she driving it and the concern over dents and noises is reasonable. Just means maybe this is not for you. It was of course strange your concern over the redneck in front of your house asking if you are selling when you state yourself that you knock on people's doors to ask if they are selling.

anyway. No matter - there will always be camrys.
There's a difference between a run down neglected Porsche (or any other car) sitting in someones back yard that has obviously been sitting there for several years, vs. a very nice looking, shiny, clean, somewhat restored Porsche sitting in someones garage.

If I was driving through a neighborhood and I saw a car like mine in someones garage, and the owner in the driveway I may stop and compliment the car, then chat for a bit, and depending on where the conversation goes, I may inquire about buying it. But I wouldn't lead with a crude, "How much chew want fer it?" statement, while leaning out of the window of my ratty truck.

Maybe I'm being judgmental and the redneck in the 20 year old beat up Chevy truck has a ton of money to blow on a classic Porsche. But I'm going to assume that he didn't.

But on the flip side. I have approached people that way, and I have had people be less than welcoming to my inquiring about their car. Maybe I've given someone else the same type of feeling that this redneck guy gave me. But that doesn't matter. I still wasn't comfortable with the way he came across. He struck me as one of those creeper pedo-bear guys, and maybe that's my fault for judging him that way, but that's how I felt.

It's not like I ever intended this car to be my daily driver, so I'm still unclear as to where the Camry fits into the equation. My daily driver is an E39 M5 and will never be a Camry... Cause I'm not a grandma and Camrys are boring.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:50 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BC

I hope your car pukes a rod. What happened to the OP sucks. No reason to be a tool.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:27 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good looking car; sorry it is causing you headaches. Wish I could justify an additional Porsche, as I'm in AZ, and want eventually to add a 912. Just no space.
I understand the 'just not into it anymore' feeling. I finally bought the plane of my dreams a few years back: A Mooney Acclaim: Fast, beautiful, custom paint job, etc. Longed for a plane for thirty years. Bought it; flew it; tired of it; sold it; over it. Live and learn.

Good luck to you. If you get it fixed, drive it out to Lake Havasu City sometime and I'll buy you lunch.
And maybe an oil change!
Old 07-29-2015, 04:50 PM
upstate bob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

disclaimer: I'm a 928 guy just happened to notice your very interesting post. As an old bug driver I always had a little yearning for a 912. Your observation about the Ghia being a better cruiser is also a thing I wasn't aware of. Thanks. My big point here is that one should not use his ancient pride and joy collector car for a daily driver. My 928 runs just dandy but I would never use it as a grocery getter or commuting to work. In your case: I advise pulling the engine out, putting it on a stand and let it sit for a while until you get over your little downturn in fortune. You won't regret it.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:38 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad you decided to repair the engine... after all the work on the rest of the car... man!

Anyway... subscribed!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:47 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Gotta say that for all the hard work you've done the motor is an easy one. Hell its just a pushrod vw in terms of complexity. Go for it I think it will be cheaper than you think....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do? 1966 Porsche 912, sell it? keep it?