Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

Down the 912 slippery slope

Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey JD. I have a short list of 912 stuff that I will type up & send to you. See if you need anything. I sent some seat material to Jaime for his project (I wish it could have been better) so I want to see if any other bits could be used by your project. I will send you a PM on the bits soon. [thumbsup]
Old 05-16-2015, 03:40 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Bet you thought I went missing?? Well - it was a long cold winter, and not much happening on the 912 front, as I wast busy pulling the engine out of my 993 with my son John - who, at the last track event of the year - the #5 bearing spun. So - anyway - that's on the road to recovery..

Over the past week - I got the engine and tranny separated - and started stripping the engine down on a stand... These images aren't for the feint of heart - and right now - I have one carb "unfrozen" - and the other is a bit difficult... The engine won't turn - and I'm not forcing it until I can see what's going on.. The distributor? Took me 4 weeks to remove with heat, kroil - then gentle tapping.. Repeat every day for four weeks...

- John D.
Attached Images     
Old 05-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by John D.
Bet you thought I went missing?? ...
- John D.
Nope... we were just being polite...

Send the carbs to Kurt @ PartsKlassiK
Send distributor to Glenn Ring... glenn@glenn-ring.com
Old 05-16-2015, 08:05 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Nope... we were just being polite...

Send distributor to Glenn Ring... glenn@glenn-ring.com
Many thanks!

Tomorrow - I'm opening the engine to see what's going on with it. This is a few hours after my last post, now down to where things look familiar to me... I couldn't save most of the engine tin - but, let's see what happens next, OK?

John D.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-12-2020)
Old 05-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah your back! Looks frightening.

Don't forget to check your PM's. I have some stuff for you if needed...
Old 05-16-2015, 09:44 PM
John D.
Banned

Hi Michael..!

Yes - well - I never really left, just getting my 993 sorted this winter...

As well - I did get your PM, BUT - I would feel uncomfortable receiving parts if this old gal can't be resurrected? I worked on the engine all day - and for that - I'm still not sure? It's a bit of a basket case, and frankly - I dun'no if it can be saved... BUT - you know I'm going to give it a try.. Heck, I've rebuilt a number of P'Cars through the years - but, this little 912 is the biggest project I've ever tried...??

Anyway - you and Jaime are true inspirations... And for that - I'm hopeful that this 912 will see another day of driving...

My thanks and best always!!

John D.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

No sweat JD. Always such a gentleman.

Look ~ I got a real deal on a new full front suspension pan. Factory OEM part 901.501.955.00. If you go forward & need it I will make you a package deal that is comfortable to all.
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2015, 02:56 PM
John D.
Banned

Waitaminute.. have you been peeking under my hood??!

Actually - if I think this can be saved - that is the FIRST piece I need to replace - and then work from front to back... In fact, the PO for as well intentioned as he was - replaced "half" the front suspension pan..? It's not attached along the side seams, nor in the back. The front, to secure it - he pop-riveted in place. Why the fuel tank didn't fall out, is beyond me....

I also will need a floor pan, inner & outer rockers (and probably heat tubes), the lower a-pillers, an inside left front inner fender wall, all four corner light holders, left and right door hinge sheets, bottom front fender wings, left and right lower fender skirts, the rear seat shelf, jack tubes and holders (both sides), the bottom of both door skins, and...??

Well - that should get me going onto the easy stuff once, all that's installed..?!

Anyway - my sincerest thanks Michael..!! And again - you are simply amazing.. My thanks for that..

John D.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Photos look scary... is it really that bad or just the oxidation on the parts that makes it looks like that?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 AM
John D.
Banned

Photos look scary... is it really that bad or just the oxidation on the parts that makes it looks like that?
Hi Jaime..!

Actually - it's cleaning up pretty well, and since I took that image - the case looks much better. While I still haven't opened it up to find out whats binding/frozen - it does indeed look a bit better then what you see in the image above...

Thanks!!

John D.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D.
Hi Jaime..!

Actually - it's cleaning up pretty well, and since I took that image - the case looks much better. While I still haven't opened it up to find out whats binding/frozen - it does indeed look a bit better then what you see in the image above...

Thanks!!

John D.
Looking forward to the "after cleaning" photos!
Old 05-21-2015, 12:12 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, like others have said you are a brave soul. Good on 'ya for saving this car.

I just spoke to them today. They stopped accepting carbs for rebuild until future notice. No estimated date even. Is there anyone else who can do a similar level job?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:48 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StanThePorscheFan
John, like others have said you are a brave soul. Good on 'ya for saving this car.

I just spoke to them today. They stopped accepting carbs for rebuild until future notice. No estimated date even. Is there anyone else who can do a similar level job?
Did they explained why? Parts shortage?

The other place I know from folks in the 912bbs.org forum:

http://www.356carburetorrescue.com
Old 05-24-2015, 07:24 PM
John D.
Banned

Hi Jaime and all,

Well - after two days of tearing the engine down, I have some really bad news.. The engine is frozen from the inside out. It would appear that several years of water came in through the carbs, and into the case and cylinders. In short - the crank, rods, bearings are toast and seized. The P&Cs are the same. The carbs are frozen as well - after three days of a soak in GUNK carb cleaner. And by "soak" - that's a full immersion..

The jets are gone, as are the the internals - and most parts are frozen solid..

I've never quit on a car - but, this is one is beyond me.. I figured if the engine was OK - and I could rebuild what was there - and if it was rebuildable? - I'd do the body...

But - I think it's time to step aside and let sanity take it's course... I've gone through all the parts in the last four hours from the entire car - and I "got nothing". There is no interior, there are no gauges that aren't rusted from the inside out, the "front bumper" is rusing from the bottom up, there are no inner/outer rockers, there is a swiss cheese floor pan, the front suspension and steering rack is toast, the rear suspension isn't any better..

I'm putting this project aside for a bit - as I don't think this can be saved - not for lack of trying...

And it breaks my heart..

John D.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Not even the case can be saved??

Well... Wheels look nice

sigh... that sucks...

Search this Thread