912 Forum 1965-1969

912e back fom the dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:00 AM
rcsupercat
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 912e back fom the dead

Greetings. I am attempting to start a 912e that has been sitting for about 16 years. Back in 1998 I turned the car off and covered it up and there it has sat ever since. I changed the oil and filter(oil wasn't sludge) removed the plugs and put a little marvel oil down the the spark plug holes. I put a wrench on the alternator and the motor seems to move freely. Problem is I cant get to spin ALL the way around. At a point (in both directions) the belt slips on the fan pully and I cant get it ti grab. I was wondering if I put a battery in it and give a click to try and get the motor to go around would be a good idea or not. When I put the car away there were no problems with it at the time. One thing I think I should mention... when I pulled the plugs one fell off the socket and is sitting under the engine shroud. I cant see how it might interfere with the motor making a full rotation but I figured I should mention it. I know I will have to drain the fuel tank, change the fuel lines, plugs, rotor, etc. etc. For now all I am trying to do is get the motor to rotate all the way around. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 PM
midnite993
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the belt is slipping, you can use your hand to push on the belt to put more tension on it while moving the wrench on the alternator nut. That's a trick I've used on a long stored car to see if I can turn it all the way over.

You will likely need to have the fuel tank boiled (definitely will be rusty and coated in varnish) and the fuel pump replaced as well. The fuel distributor and injectors may need to be gone through too it still has the original L-jetronic.

Post some pictures! Everyone loves a barn find, even if it's in your own barn! Why did you park it for so long? Porsche's don't do well sitting for years but bringing them back to life is a worthy endeavor.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:42 AM
rcsupercat
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midnite993
If the belt is slipping, you can use your hand to push on the belt to put more tension on it while moving the wrench on the alternator nut. That's a trick I've used on a long stored car to see if I can turn it all the way over.

You will likely need to have the fuel tank boiled (definitely will be rusty and coated in varnish) and the fuel pump replaced as well. The fuel distributor and injectors may need to be gone through too it still has the original L-jetronic.

Post some pictures! Everyone loves a barn find, even if it's in your own barn! Why did you park it for so long? Porsche's don't do well sitting for years but bringing them back to life is a worthy endeavor.
I put a zip tie on the belt and was able to turn the motor over all the way. The fuel tank will need to be redone i'm sure, along with the fuel lines etc. It has the original fuel injection on it. As for the reason i parked it for so long... got married, bought a house, had 2 kids and just didnt have the time to keep up with things. It has the hateful rust under the battery tray, so the suspension pan will need to be replaced. next step is to see if it will fire. I'm sure i will be back here for help as i get things going. thanx for the help.

Quick Reply: 912e back fom the dead