Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

Worst failure??

Old 05-07-2009, 04:03 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Worst failure??

What is the worst failure you have personally experienced with your 912/356?

I've been auto-xing and DE-ing mine for 15 years since full rebuilt on stock crank/case and heads. It basically lives at 6k rpms since then and .... so far so good. It's almost unbelieveable.

I neglected to change the oil pump gear during the rebuild and of course it crapped out on me after a few hundred miles on the street. That and I change the rings every other year it seems.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

1) broken valve spring: valve spring broke during a cross country trip to cali. i didnt realize it actually broke until i got there and we looked at it. head was thrashed, guide was fubar, valve was toast, but it didnt hit the piston.

2) carb fire: on another cross country trip the distributor came loose (mechanic who tuned it up for me over tightened the clamp and striped it and i didnt know.. i would have done the work myself but was too busy with so many other things that i had a mechanic do my pretrip maintenence). the dizzy had retarded the timing enough by shaking loose and in utah on i15, causing lean pop through the carb, which lit up my k&n like a roman candle. thank god for halon. i put the fire out and repaired it enough on the side of the road to limp to vegas, where i met with 2 other 912ers, one had spare solexes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worst failure??